Altenator Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altenator Question

The following done to a 1970 Plymouth roadrunner.

Installed new Autometer Voltmeter and it shows 14.5 volts at idle, 12.5 @ idle with the lights on. When you bring the RPMs up it goes to almost 16 volts on the gauge. Replaced both the alternator and the voltage regulator at the same time and I am still seeing the same result. Is this just typical for an old mopar or do I have a potential electrical problem? It seems a bit high to me. The built in gauge shows a bit of a charge (10-20AMPS) after you first start the car but once the car warms up the gauge is in the center between "D" and "C". Also, I measure about 12.5 volts @ idle right on the battery and about 14 volts if you bring the RPMs up. Is it a bad gauge or do I have something else going on?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,
It sounds ok to me but Scott is our in house Sparky, I am sure he'll show up to answer your question.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Howdy! I was in my man cave torqin the rocker arms and sticking pins in my little wife doll! Sounds just fine to me on the voltages. An output of 14-14.5 from the alt is ok. Easier to send you here than explain the whole thing. http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sensors/charging.html Should enlighten you to the whole system. Thanks for the kind words P'dude!