HELP! My carburater is spewing gasoline...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! My carburater is spewing gasoline...

Hello, I just took apart my 440 and replaced the camshaft, timing chain and then rebuilt the carburetor. When I try to start the bad boy gas squirts gas out the top of the carburetor. It wont even think of starting no mater how much I spin the distributor..

I didn’t replace the springs, could this be my problem? The bottom timing chain sprocket has 4 slots for the harmonic balancer.. What’s the chance I have it wrong slot even though I saw my buddy line up the timing marks? We found the number one spot on the distributor by taking the spark plug out of 1 and turning the engine till we felt the air.. It seems there might be two blasts of air in one rotation... This leads me to believe the lifters are lifting twice and a shooting air gas up the intake during the construction phase. I saw the camshaft line up with the lifters and it seemed perfect so at a loss of words…

Does this mean the can shaft is incorrect even though it should be the correct one for the engine? Different lobe sizes? Maybe the springs are mismatched for the Cam or am I just having a timing disaster? I'm lost!

Any help is appreciated!
Jon
Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi! I like nipples! But you aint nipples! First off, Carb spewing gas is BAD! Did you replace the fuel pump with an aftermarket thing? Depending on the carb, most want 5-8 psi at the float bowl. Did you upgrade the pump without using a regulator? Of course you set the float first, right? fuel from the overflow tube means that the float level is off, or there is dirt in the needle valve, or excessive fuel pressure is blowing the needle off the seat. Lets fix one thing at a time. And welcome!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 PM

Thanks Scotts! We did not replace the fuel pump, it's the same one that came with the engine. I had the carburater rebuilt and it got new needle valves and I saw the floats set to level before it was put back together. It seems to be blowing Air up and not only gas...

maybe the wrong needle valves? They did not come with the rebuild kit and they were in the vehicle when I purchased it.

I hope its the carburater!

Jon
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Angry

Thanks for the plug crazy for cars but I actually need help.. Any advice?

Jon
Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Mopar Fan

same happened to me when i swapped my dist. it spit gas when i tried cranking it. so i put the number 1 piston to TDC and rearanged the firing order on the dist. cap, and problem solved.
you should try this before buying anything.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 AM

Thanks guys! I took off the valve covers and it looks like everyting is moving correctly so its not a Cam Problem. It has to be the timeing and I will keep you all posted!

Thanks for the replies!

Jon
Old 08-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Oh my, a Year later and I finally have an update... (just in case someone has the same problem) The Timing was off 150 and we did have to go with a new carburetor because the Holly was just giving us too much trouble! The 1970 Winnebago now runs fantastic..

Sorry for the Delays on the Update... I got somewhat excited and forgot all about the forums...

Jon