needin some other ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy needin some other ideas

hi everyone
im having a problem with my dart in which im really confused just recently i put alot of new parts on it parts are
m1 intake
650 eldelbrock manual choke
direct connection electronic distributor
mp high performance coil
chrome ecu box
1/4 ohm ballast risistor
and a rebuilt 904 tranny with new torque converter [ as for the tranny i aquired it threw a friend that didnt know anything about it i took the pan off and inspected it it was clean and looked to be rebuilt on the bell it had the rebuild date and letters h.p.v.b assuming high perf valve body]
the problem im having is when in gear taking off the motor feels like it wants to surge when i put it in 1st gear the motor wants to do the same but not as bad now im not sure if it the trans responsible for this because i put it in there before the upgrades on the top half of the motor[except electronic dist. that was on it aswell ] for starters i wasnt pulling any vacumn for the dist. so i redid the intake gaskets again and had alittle and relized i needed a 1/4 ohm ballast resistor for my coil while research it stated that the resistor is for mech advance dist. but it also said it was needed with the electronic dist conversoin kit w/ hp coil , also when i tore the motor down the 1st time i removed the heads and lapped the valves and cleaned up the intake ports aswell by smoothing the casting bumps and matching the ports to the intakes i didnt get crazy with it the motor is a 318 0.30 over with a mild cam before all of this stuff was done the car would roast the tires even going into 2nd
so if anyone has some helpful hints or something i overlooked that would be great almost to the point of putting either a ss emblem or a mustang emblem on it and hangin my head in shame
thanks
ef8340
Old 06-22-2008, 11:59 AM

update
i went back to the stock coil and ballast still no improvement thinking about getting another dist or redoing the gap but motor is running great in park could the problem be in the trans? motor also seems to be running good in gear but it doesnt have great take off wants to stumble ..........................
is there anybody out there?????????????????????
Old 06-23-2008, 03:14 PM

hey guys
well i,ve checked the a/f mix and adjusted it rich and lean according to the cd that came with the carb still same problem as for the timing i've started with 8,9,10,11,12, degrees btdc w/o vacuum line hooked up still the same problem it seems to run the best around 10*btdc im gonna try switchin the distributor out with a old stock one i have laying around this weekend in which worked when i installed the direct connection one atleast this way if it improves any then it will narrow it down some im thinking maybe the advance went bad if you guys come up with anything else this week let me know ill add it to my list of thing to do
Old 06-28-2008, 07:06 PM

another update
well i installed my old dist and now i have nothing i guess the old one died in the box im going to put the d.c one back in tomorrow and adjust the gap on it my chilton say's to adjust it at .008 but thats on a stock dist would the gap be different on the performance model? also over looking the situation with a non frustrated head i also wired the choke in the open position do you think this could be the problem? also i dont have a kickdown linkage on it and has anyone used the mopar performance coil with a 1/4 ohm ballast resistor on electronic ignition before? the resistor seems to get really hot not sure this is normal if this is okay i'd like to put this set up back on aswell
thanks again for any input
Terry