pressure/temp sender help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pressure/temp sender help

Hi I am new to forums so if i screw up - sorry!

The engine in question is a 440.

I have three Autometer gauges i want to install this weekend. I have water temp, oil pressure and temp.

So far i have figured out (and correct me if i am wrong) that the water temp sender is at the front of the block next in the water pump, and the oil pressure sender goes into the hole at the top of the back of the block. I have two holes here , both have plugs.

My question is where does the oil temp sender go? I assume it needs to be submerged in oil to get a proper reading. So would there be a factory location for this sender or do i need to drill one? If there is a factory hole for it where would it be, and if not, where to i put it???

Thanks for any help. Pics would be very much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look at the oil pump around the filter area - you should see a factory sender - remove that and install the suto-meter one. if you want both, you can get some brass tee from home depot and use both.
there is a special socket to remove the stock unit, cheap and available at any auto parts store

Originally Posted by 71_Duster
Hi I am new to forums so if i screw up - sorry!

The engine in question is a 440.

I have three Autometer gauges i want to install this weekend. I have water temp, oil pressure and temp.

So far i have figured out (and correct me if i am wrong) that the water temp sender is at the front of the block next in the water pump, and the oil pressure sender goes into the hole at the top of the back of the block. I have two holes here , both have plugs.

My question is where does the oil temp sender go? I assume it needs to be submerged in oil to get a proper reading. So would there be a factory location for this sender or do i need to drill one? If there is a factory hole for it where would it be, and if not, where to i put it???

Thanks for any help. Pics would be very much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 PM

thanks for the reply. Have I got the oil pressure location right?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Mopar Fanatic

oil temp

AutoMeter should be able to give recommendations on how to install the temp gauge. Go to the web site and see what's there for instructions.
1966sportfury, this is a 440 so the dizzy is in the front.
I think the oil temp sender will need to be constantly submerged in oil or you will not get a reliable reading but again, find the recommendations form AutoMeter.
http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_askaquestion.aspx

Last edited by rdrunner1974; 04-25-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Mopar Fan

Hey 71_Duster, could you take picts of your install? Doing similar gauges soon on a 440, you'd make my task easier.

When you guys talk about welding a bung on the pan, do you need to drill into it or does that simply rely on heat exchange through the metal? This newbie appreciates your advice.

Anyone know if there is a spot for transmission temp other than welding on the pan or splicing the lines? Asked elsewhere before I saw this gauge thread, please let me know.