Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   rebuilding a carter avs (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/rebuilding-carter-avs-2078/)

-69 B/RB 01-05-2009 03:48 AM

rebuilding a carter avs

Hello to you all, since im new to this forum and does anyone have good ideas how to clean up old carbs? I know there are certain chemicals designed for the job, but im more of after home made recipies since i live in Finland and ordering chemicals from US is limited to sea freight. The thing is that i bought two AVS carbs from ebay and planned to build one working unit out of them. First one that i got looked good overall and wasnt missing any parts. After i popped it open it was pretty obvious it had been sitting outside for some time and nothing could be done to save the internals(metering jets etc.). Second carb didnt look so good, covered with black hard burnt oil like stuff(inside as well) that hasnt reacted to any chemical that ive tried so far. Any good ideas guys?

Polaradude 01-05-2009 06:40 AM

If you can remove all plastic/rubber bits from the carb soak the whole thing in paint thinner. lacquer thinner preferably for 24 hours or longer if need be. It should help.

78D200 01-05-2009 07:17 AM

Welcome to the forum!

I know there are rebuild kits out there on the net for Cater carbs. There is a local shop to me that rebuilds them all the time. As for cleaning, I also would go with the lacquer thinner or even kerosene to soak it in. Then use a hard nylon or brass brush to scrub it. Wear gloves, dusk mask (at least) and goggles. you can use an SOS or brillow pad as well.

Commando 01-05-2009 07:48 AM

I know you said that it is hard to get chemicals from the US, but have you checked around for brake cleaner or carb cleaner, you might get lucky.

I also heard diesel is pretty good at cleaning stuff up by soaking it, I am also going to assume that any of the chemicals are going to eat through any plastic, rubber, or gaskets.

-69 B/RB 01-05-2009 08:34 AM

Thanks for the tips, i bought couple hygrade rebuild kits to get started. Carb is/has been for a couple of weeks now soaked in diesel, without any visible progress. Seems like that black stuff has allmoust grown in to it. We do have carburator cleaning products here in Finland too, but as i can remember trying some brands years ago, they werent much of help(except lighting barbecue grill). Paint thinner might work, i dont think theres any rubber or plastic parts left in avs after i removed choke vacuum pot.

67 GTX 01-05-2009 01:05 PM

i use paint thinner too