Universal Love

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Rollin' on dubs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Love

First off I want to say thanks guys. I've learned alot lurking here. You guys are full of good information.

So. Universal joints in my 78 magnum are shot. My question is I've only done U joints one time and it was on a ford. They had snap rings on the outside of the caps to hold them in place. These don't have snap rings or groves. They just appear pressed into place.

My question is when I go to reinstall them do I simply tap the caps in place? What's holding them in? And more importantly what's to keep me from making them too tight and keeping the bearing from moving freely?

My guess is just tap them flush but I'm just guesssing. Any advice out there?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

the ones on the drive line there has to be a snap ring of some sort. the others that bolt to the tranny yoke/rear end yoke the bolted "strap" holds them in.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

oh and welcome to the site
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Rollin' on dubs

Originally Posted by 1966sportfury
oh and welcome to the site
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 1966sportfury
the ones on the drive line there has to be a snap ring of some sort. the others that bolt to the tranny yoke/rear end yoke the bolted "strap" holds them in.
I'm tellin ya man, there's no snap rings on them. I'm freaking perplexed. I was expecting to see them but they're not there. No groves either.......

Mopar Magic?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Rollin' on dubs

Ah HA! They're on the inside. Well, I feel better knowing there's snap rings holding them in but damn do they look like they're going to be a pain to get on. One looks like it has a loop for something to hook on to but I don't see anything that hooks on it.

Very interesting.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Those snap rings are probably "C" clips and are easy to install, just hold the ends of the clips started in the grooves and tap in with a hammer. Make sure the cap is on fully first, it should be down far enough to just uncover the groove the "C" clip goes into.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Rollin' on dubs

Originally Posted by sweeperking
Those snap rings are probably "C" clips and are easy to install, just hold the ends of the clips started in the grooves and tap in with a hammer. Make sure the cap is on fully first, it should be down far enough to just uncover the groove the "C" clip goes into.
Thanks. I just never encountered that style before. They were hiding in grease.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Rollin' on dubs

Reinstalling the joints was a breeze. Vibration is gone. She's smooth as silk......

But I still have the loud clunk when I drop into reverse. I was hoping it was due to the U joint but now I have to think it's the rear end. I checked for play when it was up in the air and there wasn't much at all.

What else could make a noise like that except the rear end?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I'll bet it is in the rear end, have some one hold the brake (engine idling) and go back and forth between reverse and drive and watch the drive shaft
Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Mopar Fan

X2 with sweeperking.

You could apply a working e-brake, start the car and watch the drive line when switching from reverse to drive. If the drive line rotates a lot, your rear end should be checked.
Or lift the rear tires off the ground with the car off in park and try moving the rear tires and watch the drive line. You should have a little play, but not a lot.
Good luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeperking
I'll bet it is in the rear end, have some one hold the brake (engine idling) and go back and forth between reverse and drive and watch the drive shaft
Originally Posted by Mopar_71
X2 with sweeperking.

You could apply a working e-brake, start the car and watch the drive line when switching from reverse to drive. If the drive line rotates a lot, your rear end should be checked.
Or lift the rear tires off the ground with the car off in park and try moving the rear tires and watch the drive line. You should have a little play, but not a lot.
Good luck.
Can't give you much better advice that the guys above. So just welcome to the forum and good luck on the rear...