what hi comp pistons for a /6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what hi comp pistons for a /6 ?

g'day again . i to will be building a slant 6 225ci for my misus . it is a abody 1969 vf ( same a my 383 ute ) sedan 225 / , 3 spd coloum shift manual & also 3.32 borg warner o/c diff . i want my build a little more solid than my mates engine . but along similar lines though i'd like to nudging the 14's if i can . i'd like to use kb silvolite pistons from a 2.2l neon or some other light cheap cast piston , with lighter pin or floating pin. i'll beam polish & shot peen std rods & fit arp rod bolts , balance bottem end including fly wheel & balancer . i'll only deck the block to suit comp height & compression . i to want about 9.5-10:1 compression maybe more if e85 comes on line here . ( not many e85 pumps here ) i'll use a .480-510" lift solid cam . i'll also use 1.70 / 1.50" valves aussie speed inlet manifold & 500 or 550 cfm edelbrock 4bbl carb & port job by myself . i want some good headers & 2.5" mandrel bend exhaust with free flowing muffler . i'll use a msd 6al & msd or what ever dizzy you guys are using over there . i think i'll stick with the 3.32 diff (for hiway driving ) but upgrade to 28 spline lsd 4 pinion center out of a late ford falcon ??? maybe . i don't know what i can do to these 3 spd manuals ??? maybe hd clutch & new bits if needed , hopefully you guys use them & can tell me more . i'm hoping the nice light drive train & more valve lift & rpms will get it moving down the track while keeping the std diff ratio for the street & hiway driving , while using the edelbrocks primaries for fuel saving . well that's my plan anyway . i'm also planing custom number plates that read vfb383 for mine & vfg225 for hers a lil puzzel for other mopar road users . so if any of uses can help me out with your thoughts on my plan wether it will work out or not & why please do . & any other help with what pistons to use , 3 spd mods , where to source parts from ect just let me know thanks dead .
Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
I don't know the availability in your neighborhood? I would look for a late 4 sp
(3sp+ 4th overdrive)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Mopar Lover

mmm i did kinda want the 3 speed & column shift for the nostalgia aspect . that's all . i spose the gearbox can be swapped out when it needs replacing . till then i'll use it . btw i mixed up the edelbrock carb ! i was meaning a thermo quad . the one with small primaries & the real large secondaries . for some reason i thought the edelbrock was a alloy remanufacture , but they are the new carter . i'm open to carb suggestions as well . i think somewhere between a 350cfm & 500cfm is where i wanta be . i'd like a spread bore maybe a 465 holley or 500 edelbrock may have to do . or are there other options ? i don't want tripple su's or webbers .
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Check with Clifford Research for speed parts, 4bbl manifold.. Thermoquad is too big! Sounds like a 500 cfm carb would work.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
I was going to suggest Wiseco, then I looked at those 2.2 pistons and they're like a perfect fit with the right amount for block mill. You're on your game I'll say.

Your plan looks good I can't think of any suggestions other than this wacky one. If I ever did a slanty I always wanted to build a manifold with sidedrafts or better yet, multiple Mikuni's.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Mopar Lover

manifold with sidedrafts or better yet, multiple Mikuni's .
for sure , my mate & i have wieghed all this up & it looks like my mate is gona save the $900ish that a aussie speed manifold & new 4bbl carb would cost . & put that towards a tripple webber inlet manifold, build & attach a custom plenum & use a throttle body & efi injector setup off a aussie 4lt inline 6cyl ford engine . that will be by far the best setup in the long run . we thought of using tripple 1 3/4 su carbs , tripple webbers , as well as mikunis off 750cc or 1000cc jap road bikes . but by the time we buy 2 sets & tear our hair out trying to set up the linkages & tune them it's just to much brain work . this way we can use the whole cold air induction box single paper filter & most bits available @ most auto part stores . i have finished the port job on my mates slant head to the point that where waiting on the oversize valves to cut the seats @ throats of the bowls & the inlet/exhaust gaskets to match the port windows . i'm very happy with how it has turned out , all up so far i've spent about 6-7 hours porting & i'd say there's 3 maybe 4 hours to go . it's a pitty he's on such a budget , i'd love to see a .480" lift cam , higher stall convertor , & bottom end balance & better pistons but oh well .