Won't star but runs fine...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
xvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't star but runs fine...

My 74 Duster seems to run like a champ when i get it started...It will only start if i spray a ton of carb cleaner in it but when I get it running it runs great. i don't know what the problem is because I'm a newbie. Any insight,tips,advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

225 slant single barrel, holley 1945(i think)

Last edited by xvc; 04-25-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
X -

Been a while since I worked on a 6, but does the carb have an automatic choke and is it working? (Google it for pictures) When dold the butter-fly on top of the air inlet should be closed.

Archer
Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 PM
xvc

I'm not sure but there is a choke cable mounted in the car.

Last edited by xvc; 04-25-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Mopar Lover

x -
Originally Posted by xvc
OK, are you using it? Usually, you pull it out to shut the choke, in to open it.

Don't know what you know about these cars.

1. Manually work the throttle linkage to make sure you're getting a gas squirt.

2. Confirm that pulling the choke lever closes the choke.

3. Close the choke, stomp the gas pedal a few times and turn the key with the pedal 1/2 way down.

4. Once the engine starts, partially open the choke. As the engine builds up rpm, fully open the choke.

These cars aren't like the newer ones, where you just turn the key. Also, until you get things figured out, don't start driving it until the temp starts to come up.

Archer
Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
xvc

Yeah I don't know much about cars in general but im learning, I did everything you said and it seemed like it wanted to start but It did not. It's squirting gas but the choke plate, I think it's called inside the carb, doesn't move when I pull the choke but the little linkage arm on side does move when I pull the choke. I've been checking for vacuum leaks but the hoses and stuff seem fine but I'm still going to replace them all.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by xvc
This is not stock, A /6 with a holley carb had the choke controlled by a thermostat coil in the intake manifold.

Someone hooked up a manual choke cable to it. Might have to adjust the cable. The short linkage on the side is for the fast idle when cold. Try stepping on the gas pedal when pulling the choke cable and see if that helps.the choke plate on top should close.

If you can,please post a picture of the setup.

good luck, john
Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 80 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by John Van
This is not stock, A /6 with a holley carb had the choke controlled by a thermostat coil in the intake manifold.

Someone hooked up a manual choke cable to it. Might have to adjust the cable. The short linkage on the side is for the fast idle when cold. Try stepping on the gas pedal when pulling the choke cable and see if that helps.the choke plate on top should close.

If you can,please post a picture of the setup.

good luck, john
I agree it should of been a divorced choke with a bi metal coil in the intake
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
xvc

Well I did what Archer and John van told me and it seems to be starting fine I guess I'll really know tonight or tomorrow. Also I'll take a look into that "divorced choke with a bi metal coil in the intake". thank you all so much for the help I do appreciate it. I'll keep you posted (if your still interested lol).

Heres a few pics hope they help thanks again.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...0car/carb1.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...0car/carb2.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...0car/carb3.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...0car/carb5.jpg

Ihope the pictures work now.

Last edited by xvc; 04-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Mopar Lover

x -

Yup, sounds like the manual choke cable was stuck and no it wasn't stock, but a lot of us used the manual chokes back in the day.

BTW - the photobucket links ain't workin'

Archer
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 PM
xvc

Well it seems to work when I follow the formula set by archer and john but its a slow start and sputters for awhile until it gets warmed up but I figured its an old car and it just needs to warm up and sometimes I need the carb cleaner to get it started. I think your right about my cable being stuck because its really stiff and its impossible to pull it slowly it either snaps in or out, I don't know if thats how it operates or its supposed to be a smooth pull. So I ordered a new choke cable(pto cable I think it's called) and carb rebuilt kit I figured why not. This car also has push button ignition, I was just wondering if that was stock or not.

I hope the pictures work now.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...r/ignition.jpg

Last edited by xvc; 04-27-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Mopar Lover

x -

Pretty much the same one I used to have - until I figured out that with a double pumper, I didn't need one

Archer
Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can't get the choke cable working you can get a new one very cheap. They are not stock but work very well and some times better. By the way stop dumping carb cleaner in there you will wash down the cylinder walls and it will wear out your rings fast. Also that is a solvent and will dilute your oil. I would change that oil now befor you do anything else. You should be able to start it right up with a proper choke, and a good tune up. These motors are very easy to work on. You got a good start into the automotive hobby. Again don't drive it untill the engine warms up and you can open the choke up.
You might want to get a service manual and learn how to tune it. You are going to like that /6 once you have it running right. Not a power horse but you should get good mileage and have some fun with it. The push button is in no way stock but no reason not to use it. The key switch is probably bad and will be a bugger to replace in a 74 as it is in the column. I have the same button on a couple trucks and I use them regularily with no problem.Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by bboogieart; 05-01-2011 at 10:32 AM.