2 Different Jets in my Carb??? Carter BBD

Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Different Jets in my Carb??? Carter BBD

Hi All,

I have a '72 Dart with a 318 and a carter BBD. I had the carb rebuilt at a shop 6 years ago when I bought the car. It always ran ok, but never great but we never drove it much. I finally got some time to work on it lately and changed plugs and found the passenger side plugs showed it was running much richer on that side, other side is fine, also the mixture screw on that side didn't do much even when screwed all the way in.

I just pulled the carb apart and found the jets have two different numbers. The passenger side has 120-866S and the driver side has 120-309S. Does anyone know what jets it is supposed to have or maybe are these the same size and just have different numbers? I'm assuming the 309 is correct since that side appeared to be running better. Where can I buy them? I did some searching but haven't found anything yet. I assume whoever rebuilt it either mixed them up with a different carb or lost one and grabbed a larger replacement, he also didn't notice that he used two air horn gaskets that must have been stuck together. Quality work.

Thanks for any and all help.
Sven
junkscouts@hotmail.com
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I found this:

from here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

to here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=21

to this:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/Chr...als_65to79.pdf
Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
For some reason the edit button is not showing up. Older Carter jets were a mess, you just about need wire gauges or numbered drills to measure their size. The thing is, though, different jet sizes should NOT cause an engine to run rich or lean "on one side." This is because the manifold does not feed one barrel to each side of the engine. But if one idle screw does not work, this is a HUGE clue. Either the carb is internally damaged, or more likely, that idle circuit is plugged. I always use a "snorkel tube" with pressurized carb cleaner to shoot through all carb passages.

Use safety glasses!!! Getting that stuff in your eyes is not fun!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the links and the info. Before pulling the carb apart I did try shooting carb cleaner through the mixture screw holes and blowing it out with compressed air but it didn't help. Visibly the jets looked close to the same size, one wasn't hugely biger than the other. I finished the rebuild and put it back on the car but the new accelerator pump was sticking in the cylinder, so I had to put the old one back in and it's running great. I suspect the jets are the same or close to it and they just have different part numbers.

I swear all the plugs from the passenger bank looked like they were getting more fuel than the other side. I will look at the plugs again and double check. That side has tappy lifters (I changed one that was stuck but I should have changed them all), so that may have something to do with it.

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

if you need jet s i may have some in a box of carb part's i have alot of carb part's let me know i maybe i can help you with them.
440 is right with a dual plane manifold the one barrel of the carb feed's both side's, unless you have a tarantula style manifold i had one from mopar off of a... hell i don't even remember what motor i got it off of or car i think it was a challenger i think.