crankcase ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crankcase ventilation

Will a valve cover breather cap be sufficient without a pcv valve or is the pcv valve a necessity ? My valve covers are not drilled for a pcv valve or oil fill cap or a breather cap just wondering if I need to make 3 holes or try to get by with 2
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
So how are you going to put oil in it ? You should at least run a PVC valve
Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
PVC= polyvinyl chloride, as in plastic commonly used in plumbing pipes

PCV= positive crankcase ventilation, as in the small one way valve commonly found on internal combustion engines.

Kick me in the nuts for correcting you, I deserve it.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 AM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
If you have at least 2 breathers and are going to pull one to fill oil you will be fine.

OR

Mopar makes a breather kit that allows you to run heater hose to the breather and then place a bung down stream in the exhaust and vent the fumes. This HELPS ALOT with the smell.

OR

With two cut outs a PCV valve can be added and the other breather will serve as the intake air hole to equalize pressure and oil fill.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

I started with one Breather and a PCV...but after Running high rpms the dipstick would pop out of the tube so i added a second breather and that fixed the problem.
i drilled a hole for the pcv and used the two existing oil fill cap holes for pushin type breathers.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.4spd
PVC= polyvinyl chloride, as in plastic commonly used in plumbing pipes

PCV= positive crankcase ventilation, as in the small one way valve commonly found on internal combustion engines.

Kick me in the nuts for correcting you, I deserve it.
Interesting, as you haven't really corrected anything.

So far as the question, I do NOT like to "not" run PCV. But be carefull where you head. If you just punch a hole in the cover and slap a PCV in there, you just might be "suckin' oil." A PCV should have a baffle of some sort.

You cannot buy the "nice" ones anymore, but I use the Ford type breathers used on the late 60's --70's Ford products. These are a big breather, which fits "twist in" bayonet filler holes, and take a grommet in the top.

I have one of these on both valve covers. You can put a PCV in one breather, and an open breather hose on the other. This hose is normally routed to the bonnet on the air filter.

However, I "Cheat" a little on mine. I have an older set of Cal Custom VC that I've actually had since the '70's!!! These have a twist lock filler on each cover, as well as a spot for a PCV.

So on mine, I have a "Ford" style breather on each VC, with a 5/8 hose down to the bottom like a draft tube, and a PCV in one cover. This seems to work well.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
If you have two breathers and a pvc, and your still blowing the dip stick. Your problem is blow by,, Rings is your only cure. If you run a pvc, with twist on oil caps with no breather it creates a vacuum and screws your rings up.. Learned this lesson on the first engine I ever built.. I hate any valve covers without baffles, they are messy from oil that gets slung up in the breathers and pvc.

Their is a half moon cure for valve covers with no baffles, They do make a baffled rubber grommet that the pvc or brether will fit into.

Links
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-5425
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3413
Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

After two Breathers ...and i had to make the baffles at least they gave me precast holes to tap for them but since i installed the second i haven't had the dipstick pop i've run her to 6500, i think i got the ventilation of the crank case more than adequate.