Electric fuel pump troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Removing and cleaning the tank is a bit too much right now. I think if I don't fill the tank all the way up I should be able to work with the clean part of the tank.

I have the extra filter but have not installed it yet. I am worried that it will add extra restriction on the suction. But then again, what I have now is not working too well either.

I think I diagnosed the pinging. I read the timing with the timing light. I don't trust the numbers, but as I revved it up from about 600 to about 2500, I did not see a continuous and smooth advancement. I think the springs are stuck. I sprayed some penetrating oil in there, but does not seem to help. Probably new distributor.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, let's start with the good news first. The fuel pressure is now very high with the two fuel pumps on, it gets up to 8 or 9 psi. It could barely get to 5.5 psi before. I assume that now even under WOT and 5000 rpm it will maintain pressure. That indicates that the fuel coming out of the tank may now be clean.

The bad news is that the knock continues, even after the use of an octane booster. I think the intensity with the 108 octane booster is reduced though. Also, the hesitations continue, and they get worse and worse as the load increases. On the highway, a light-medium acceleration around 60-70 produces momentary loss of power and some spectacular sounding back fires from the right or left side, not sure if the side is consistent. At WOT, you have half the time go on all 8, half the time on ... something less than 8. That was AFTER I sprayed carb cleaner through all 4 jet holes.

The other factor, which should be considered a positive thing is the following. There is a massive vacuum leak on the base of the carburetor. I am surprised about this, because this is a brand new gasket, and it had fixed the vacuum leak that I had in the same spot with the old gasket. The good news is that this may be responsible for the spark knock. It also may help in the part load hesitations. But I do not think this has anything to do with the WOT interruptions.

The first question is, how d I fix this leak? Gasket is new. RTV does not work in this area. Is there an alternative soft gasket sealer that can work for this? I am hoping that after this leak is fixed, I may be able to drive the car and have the fuel additive clean up the carburetor and fix the WOT interruptions.