fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump

just got my tranny rebuilt and now the fuel pump quits run ning after about 5 miles or so and i let it sit for about 5 minutes and it starts again, i was told it might be the relay? but the engine misses badly now, the car ran perfect when i took it the shop i had the spacer removed so i can put the stock hood back on and he converted it to a fully automatic valve body but thats all that was done the carb, it had no choke so i got a 750 holley double pumper for it could i have electrical issues? causing both the miss and fuel pump issue?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
sm -

Could be a lot of things, but vapor lock comes to mind first, and the easiest to test.

When the motor quits, open the hood and look/smell for unburned fuel. If the carb venturies are dry and you can't smell any fuel, you have a fuel delivery problem. If the carb is soaked with gas, it's electrical.

For the miss, again could be anything, but first step is to visually trace all the plug wires and confirm that you have the correct firing sequence.

Loosing the spacer (assuming it was a 4 hole) can make things a little more sluggish off the line. Also, check for vac leaks, around the carb base and anywhere else.

Archer
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
first toss the holley. get a stock carter. check the fuel hose that goes from the fuel pimp to the frame. it will suck air long before fuel comes out of the cracks in the hose.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
You said the fuel pump quit running, right? I don't see how the carburetor could possibly affect that. I think diagnosing the FUEL PUMP is the best place to start?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
NEED more details

WHAT year/ model we wokin on?

WHERE is the pump mounted,

HOW is it wired,

WHAT pump are you using,

DO you also have a mechanical pump?

You could have a bulkhead connector in bad condition, and disturbing it from lowering th engine for the trans work could have shown up the problem

Start with key in run, engine not running, and check ignition voltage. It should be withing .3V (three tenths of a volt of the voltage at the battery.

Try to catch it when it quits, and see if the pump relay is getting voltage from the ignition, and whether it's feeding good voltage to the pump

INSPECT th wire to the pump. WHERE is it routed? Is it under the car? Could the trans shop have damaged the wire and poorly spliced it?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 AM

fuel pump

Originally Posted by smartymouse
just got my tranny rebuilt and now the fuel pump quits run ning after about 5 miles or so and i let it sit for about 5 minutes and it starts again, i was told it might be the relay? but the engine misses badly now, the car ran perfect when i took it the shop i had the spacer removed so i can put the stock hood back on and he converted it to a fully automatic valve body but thats all that was done the carb, it had no choke so i got a 750 holley double pumper for it could i have electrical issues? causing both the miss and fuel pump issue?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 AM

tx all of you for the help, i didn't get to work on it yet i drive truck and i'm rarely home but i'll ck it our as soon as i can and let yas know what i find i'm gonna start with the fuel pump and go from there
Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM

fuel pump

ok I finally got done the fuel pump was mounted wrong and ran 10 minutes and got red hot and quit anyhow I replaced it with a new holley mechanical pump new sending unit and fuel lines new plug wires and still have nasty miss at around 2,500 rpms gonna put the spacer back on and see what happens it had a 2 inch spacer and might have changed something guess i'll find out