Head gasket cooling circuit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket cooling circuit

I did a quick rebuild and inspection to my 360 SB but when I was installing the head gaskets I noticed that one of the holes of the cooling circuit was being covered by the head gasket so I modified the gasket to open the hole.

is that normal? I mean, if Chrysler put a hole for cooling circuit in engine block and heads why a gasket manufacturer will override it?
Attached Thumbnails Head gasket cooling circuit-raven_254.jpg  
Old 03-02-2016, 07:45 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You should have left it alone. I cannot IMAGINE why people keep worrying about a gasket that has be designed, sold, distributed for DECADES with no problems. It is the very definition of 'bolt on'

Whether you helped or hurt the cooling might be immaterial. What you MAY have done is to raise a burr, or weakened the gasket, in such a way that it will fail
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by DDodger
You should have left it alone. I cannot IMAGINE why people keep worrying about a gasket that has be designed, sold, distributed for DECADES with no problems. It is the very definition of 'bolt on'

Whether you helped or hurt the cooling might be immaterial. What you MAY have done is to raise a burr, or weakened the gasket, in such a way that it will fail
So in few words I have to replace again the head gaskets?

Does anybody know the reason about why one of the coolant passages is override by the head gasket?
Old 03-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Real basically if you picture the block front with no timing cover the cooled water from the rad enters the two round holes in block, travels around the cylinders to the back.

It then goes up entering the head at the back of block, passes forward through head to the holes at the front and into the manifold where the thermostat is, out the hose to the top of the rad.

There are some gaskets that pass a small amount into the head on the exhaust side, and some circle track guys modify this whole system dramatically, but cutting additional holes in can disrupt proper flow and create hot spots and engine failure.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by josehf34
So in few words I have to replace again the head gaskets?

Does anybody know the reason about why one of the coolant passages is override by the head gasket?
I don't know. At this point might be worth the gamble to try it. This gets into engineering that nobody can know except the guys who designed it. These engines are solid and have a long LONG history of reliability. The major gasket manufacturers have been making these gaskets for a very long time. Since I was a kid!!! And that was a LONG time ago!!!

You can believe one thing.......if a hole is covered, or "not" that is the way it was designed, by guys who knew way more than I do.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by DDodger
I don't know. At this point might be worth the gamble to try it. This gets into engineering that nobody can know except the guys who designed it. These engines are solid and have a long LONG history of reliability. The major gasket manufacturers have been making these gaskets for a very long time. Since I was a kid!!! And that was a LONG time ago!!!

You can believe one thing.......if a hole is covered, or "not" that is the way it was designed, by guys who knew way more than I do.
I'm not going to take the risk, I prefeer to disassemble the engine again and change the gaskets but I'm thinking about take this opportunity to do a piston and camshaft upgrade.

Any help is going to be appreciated in the following thread
https://moparforums.com/forums/f81/3...-street-19220/