Micro polishing and lightening question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Micro polishing and lightening question

If I were to purchase a 470 stoker kit for a 400 block from indy heads or from speedomotive would I have to rebalance the rotating assembly if I were to have the crank micro polished and knife edged? Also would it be smart to lighten the crank or just leave it as is? My goal is to have a strong motor that will last for many miles but has ~550 hp and can rev high this motor is being built for a pro touring car so if anyone has any good engine building advice for a car for this kind of racing it would be much appreciated.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome 71. Knife edging: Definitely rebalancing required and with a big throw possibly heavy metal will need to be added, bringing the cost up substantially.
Micro polishing: Can easily be done yourself, many videos if you search.
My opinion is if your serious about the crank work have the supplier do it and rebalance it all before you get it. The edging is really only valid for the extreme high end engines, or if you want it to rev quicker to spool up a turbo on a road course.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no plan to put a turbo on the car I simply want a high revving engine so I will consider having them do it but will probably just leave the crank alone. thank you for the information and thanx for the welcome.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Buy your complete stroker rotating assy from here and you won't have to do anything except slap it in there...buy your Indy heads from Indy...

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/