question about PCV for valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question about PCV for valve covers?

i have a 64 imperial im upgrading the 413 to a 440. stock i had a normal breather on the drivers side and a tube style PVC im assuming on the passenger side valve cover. im wondering why is the the tube going to the intake manifold even required? can i just put normal breathers and cap the intake manifold off?

if it is required how come both sides don't vent into a "T" that goes into the intake manifold?

from my understanding the tube reduces sludge build up and if its only in one side wouldn't the opposite side get build up? would it be better to put a PCV on both sides and run a line into a "T" where they both go into the intake at the sometime?

also i have mopar performance wrinkle style black valve covers they are punch out style i knock these out from the outside -in or from the inside-out? Ballping hammer work?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
64 -

The P in PVC stands for Positive, it draws blow-by gases out of the crankcase by vacuum (yeah, technically, it's negative pressure, but that doesn't sound as good). Since the crankcase is more or less a closed system, any venting port will work, so you only need one PVC.

A more passive system can be accomplished by just using breathers, and in that case the more the merrier. Think about it, with a vacuum attached to the closed system any excess pressure will be immediately drawn out and recirculated, with a passive system, the pressure has to build up beyond atmospheric pressure before it get "vented" through the breathers.

On a performance engine, the PVC (if used) is generally coming from a full bore manifold post (intake manifold or carb base) and goes into one valve cover.

Archer
Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Archer
64 -

The P in PVC stands for Positive, it draws blow-by gases out of the crankcase by vacuum (yeah, technically, it's negative pressure, but that doesn't sound as good). Since the crankcase is more or less a closed system, any venting port will work, so you only need one PVC.

A more passive system can be accomplished by just using breathers, and in that case the more the merrier. Think about it, with a vacuum attached to the closed system any excess pressure will be immediately drawn out and recirculated, with a passive system, the pressure has to build up beyond atmospheric pressure before it get "vented" through the breathers.

On a performance engine, the PVC (if used) is generally coming from a full bore manifold post (intake manifold or carb base) and goes into one valve cover.

Archer

Would it hurt if i ran two PVC breathers running into a T that then goes to the intake manifold? cause im ocd about things being the same on both sides lol and im sure i could find some kind of nice stainless braided hose that could add some flare to my engine compartment one on each side running to my intake if you know what i mean. and they would match my taylor stainless braided spark plug wires too.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
64 -

I'm playing with the flow dynamics of two PCV, one in each valve cover and can't see the need or benefit.

You still need a breather in the system, or you could be sucking more than blow-by into the manifold. Having a PCV and a breather in the same VC would probably suck in more air than blow-by.

I wouldn't do it.

Besides the PCV in the rear port on one VC and a breather in the rear port on the other looks pretty cool and does the job. It's the old, if it ain't broke thing.

Archer
Old 03-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Mopar Fanatic

okay thanks guess ill just put it on like normal haha thanks for the tips. just wondering how come some cars don't have breathers at all? they vented somewhere else some how?
Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Old cars vented to the atmosphere. The old road tube not good for the environment or the engine
Old 03-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
The idea is to have air enter on one side only, have it drawn through the whole engine to the other side evacuating everything.

There are manufacturers that do it different ways but still trying to get fresh air down to the crankcase and draw it out. There are vacuum pump systems that discharge into an oil separator and drain the liquid back to the engine.

I like the old style like on your engine, simple and very effective.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't see why you can't make it look symmetrical though. Install the T in the middle that is plugged and won't actually affect performance. Install T on the end (or both and block off accordingly) to allow air in, same old operation with symmetrical look.

Last edited by xaza; 03-18-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also the carb is rejeted for a PCV system.