stock compression ratio? power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock compression ratio? power?

What is stock compression ratio for a 73' rv/motorhome 440. I was not the one who pulled it so I can't tell you exactly what it came out of if there are differences. The piston looks pretty darn far down in the hole at tdc.

Second question: Whats the power potential of this combination?, Rotating assembly is all stock w/ forged steel crank, "six pack" rods, and stock pistons. Did not have it balanced while it was out just installed new bearings+rings and checked the clearances. Heads were cleaned and magnafluxed with new exhaust seats installed. The seats were resurfaced with the stock valves. Valvetrain is all stock except new comp pushrods as one of the originals was bent (no witness marks on the corresponding valve and piston).

As for the cam, a new summit brand cam was ordered straight out of the catalogue lifters included. Of the two listed I chose the larger one, unfortunately im about three hours away from the cam card (intake lift was 474? 484? still mild).

The intake is an old, used edelbrock CH4B. The carb is a used 750 holley (4160) vacuum secondary (might be old enough to have accelerator pump check ball instead of mushroom valve). Headers are cheapy jegs brand for b-bodies. Since the stock pan was truck style, I got an off brand 7quart deep sump unit from ebay. Motor was incredibly low mileage, all pumps were cleaned inspected and reassembled including the oil pump (yes, got a correct water pump housing). New gaskets all around of course.

It will have no accessories to drive. Other than the 727, everything else is manual/ non-power. No heater or air con, cooling fan is electric.

Don't think I left anything out, feels like I just wrote a book! This motor is just meant to be a quickie rebuild so I can drive the car while I build something hot. I'm hoping to have in the neighborhood of 290-315hp and plenty of torque. Wishful thinking?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Compression most likely is around 8/1,like you said the pistons are way down in the whole.The low compression will make it hard to make any decent power. I would have gotten new rods and pistons and made this the killer motor with some good heads.

good luck, john
Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
John Van is close...I would say 8.5:1..you know you have a forged crank and six pack rods and they are fine..I would have gotten some KB flat top pistion to up the CR to 9.5:1 that would of helped alot but you would have had to rebalance the rotating assy.

Last edited by bremereric; 08-18-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.5:1, well at least i'll be able to run junk gas. Yes, upping the compression with new pistons would have been nice but like you said I would have had to rebalance the whole assembly. These expenses would have just taken away from the intended stroker project. This engine is meant to make the car driveable in the meantime, just wondered what kind of power it would actually make.