727 tranny leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
727 tranny leaks.

Hmm, seems that i may be a tranny leak. Still don't know where it's coming from. I have a deep pan, and there was fluid all on the bottom, but no leaks could be found. Now, I did find that an o ring on tranny dipstick was broke, not the one that's supposed to be tere in the grove, one someone installed right above it just sitting on the dipstick. One in groove looked fine. I replaced it, guess I'll see soon whenever I get to drive it. Funny thing is the leak is random. Can't really pinpoint when it's gonna do it. Strange. Also, seems to be a slight drip from bolts on rear tranny mount. Do they have capability to leak? Can I pull one at time n use sealant n reinstall? Oh n I did pull dust cover, it's as clean and dry as a whistle. Seems like one oil pan bolt was wet, not bad, could I pull and reinstall with sealant w no problems? No leaks from driver side so I know it's not shifter seal. Brand new rebuilt tranny, maybe the back bolts on teanny mount or loose and leaked? Don't know. Looking forward to info! Picked up some right stuff today, ill seal stuff up once someone gives me some advice!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
If it leaked at the tube gravity will have it running all over the lip of the pan and bolts. Then when you drive fluid will be everywhere but at the source.

Check coolant lines and and don't over torque pan bolts. Next time pan is off sit it on its flange and make sure its flat.

You'll find it, it's just a pain in the ###!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
If you do drop the pan and it checks out please do not use a gasket. Get some Permatex The Right Stuff and use it after you read the instructions. I have a deep chrome pan and it sealed it.
Attached Thumbnails 727 tranny leaks.-41ubtd4o2-l__ss500_.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Mopar Fan

Yea it's all over the bottom of pan, I got a b and m deep aluminum pan, thick it seems, I went around with my rachet, all the bolts seems tight, I tightened 2 or 3 some more, prolly over torqued them my luck. Anyways, it's "finned" on the bottom, and on the passenger side teres usually 3 or 4 fins with drops of oil, an it seems I have quite a puddle right at corner of Pan. For a while I was thinking it was my oil pan, since oil n trans have both blue tinted oil. But it def can't be, cause the pan is dry, except for one bolt it's kindve wet, which I'd like to remove, seal, and reinstall if I can without causing any leaks. But there's no leak on drivers side of tranny. My rear trans mount has a drip, can I remove mount and reinstall after sealing bolts without problems? Bought me some right stuff today, hear its the best!! Guess ima remove stick, run some of the right stuff around o rings and reinstall.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Mopar Fan

Man I'd like to drop pan, but that trick shift oil I use is so expensive lol doesn't it take like 8 quarts? What about rear? I really don't think pan is leaking at all, it's just the tube and trans mount I believe causing my grief. Car show Saturday I gotta get it fixed!! :-)
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Imfast101
Man I'd like to drop pan, but that trick shift oil I use is so expensive lol doesn't it take like 8 quarts? What about rear? I really don't think pan is leaking at all, it's just the tube and trans mount I believe causing my grief. Car show Saturday I gotta get it fixed!! :-)
The tranny mount does not enter the tranny. It could be that you overfilled it and now the output shaft seal is leaking. Always buy a pan with a drain plug that way you could drain it through a paint filter and into to a clean bucket and reuse it.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Mopar Fan

I hear that there's a little door with two bolts underneath mount that could be leaking. The output shaft seal isn't leaking at all it's nice and dry. I guess by output shaft, the rear main on tranny huh? I got a drain plug, the trans wasn't overfilled for sure. Checked it yesterday, ran thru all gears, put in neutral, and checked, not a drop of oil on dipstick!!! I added a quart while running, checked again, still not a drop!!! Damn, must've leaked quite a bit and I never noticed until recently.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Imfast101
I hear that there's a little door with two bolts underneath mount that could be leaking. The output shaft seal isn't leaking at all it's nice and dry. I guess by output shaft, the rear main on tranny huh? I got a drain plug, the trans wasn't overfilled for sure. Checked it yesterday, ran thru all gears, put in neutral, and checked, not a drop of oil on dipstick!!! I added a quart while running, checked again, still not a drop!!! Damn, must've leaked quite a bit and I never noticed until recently.
There is a snap ring under the cover. Could be leaking there but you will have to wipe it down dry and then run it. There are too many seals and holes that it could be leaking from. You can also drive it to a tranny shop and let them look at it. Sometimes in the air it's easier to spot things.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Mopar Fan

Yea it was running, and in nuetral when I checked. Why I was shocked. I may just do that, bring it somewhere Thursday, he can reinstall dipstick and see if he can find the leak. I know it's a pain to mess with it on a jack. Just didn't wanna waste money when I could do it myself ya know?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Mopar Fan

Just ordered a Mancini locking dipstick. The seal looks a lot better on that dipstick than a standard stock o ring. Plus for 40 bucks can't really complain, hopefully it works! I 2nd day aired it so I can have it by Saturday car show
Old 04-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Put a very small dab of silicon grease or gasket sealer on the O ring to help it slide into the trans case. If the tube is bent at all replace it.. Another spot for leaks would be the shifter shaft seal and the speedo adapter O ring