Struggles in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Struggles in Drive

So, I have a 1968 Chrysler Newport. I do believe that it actually has a Torqueflight transmission in it, but here's the problem. When I reverse, the car will move flawlessly without my foot on the gas. So when I put the car into drive, it really struggles to move... almost as if the parking brake is slightly engaged. As I said, it is fine in reverse... but when it's in drive... it sure needs quite a bit of gas to roll forward. It will not move what so ever without me putting pressure on the gas.

I really have two thoughts right now, but could use input. It can either be a transmission problem (hope not), but maybe it could be something with the wheels? I just purchased the car yesterday, and on the front it has some Tigerpaw H78-14s (From the 70s. No tred, so I need to get those replaced). I'm really hoping it isn't the transmission giving me trouble, and I hope it is just something with the wheels. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Raise it off the ground on Jack Stands Check for brake drag
Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TVLynn
Raise it off the ground on Jack Stands Check for brake drag
X2
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Tranny rebuild time.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bremereric
Tranny rebuild time.

Unfortunately I agree... Does it do this all the time or only when 'cold', IE: first drive of the day?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Mopar Fan

I put it on the jack, lifted it up and it had resistance. I put the spare on and it is not struggling as much. I'm getting the bearings worked on, though. Look at the attached picture. Something else isn't right based off of how it is worn (and none of the other tires are like this. They still need to be replaced, but it isn't this bad). I've talked to a few people and let them listen to it turn and they think the bearing needs work. Maybe later I can put it back on the jack and get a video of how it sounds when I spin the wheel. It makes a squeaking noise as if metal is rubbing together (whether it's the spare or not) as the wheel rotates.

Last edited by curtjr4; 06-17-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Adjusted picture size
Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Mopar Fan

Oops. If this turns out to be a double post, I am extremely sorry. I just thought I'd at this in. The car won't roll when in drive. But once I give it gas, I can let go of the accelerator and it will roll.

And it does it all the time. Not just when it's cold. But as I said... I think there's something wrong with the wheels. I'm getting the bearings worked on and I'm going to ask them to look into what it may be if the bearings aren't the cause. I'll let you guys know the results sometime next week (I'm also replacing all 4 tires...)
Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by curtjr4
Oops. If this turns out to be a double post, I am extremely sorry. I just thought I'd at this in. The car won't roll when in drive. But once I give it gas, I can let go of the accelerator and it will roll.

And it does it all the time. Not just when it's cold. But as I said... I think there's something wrong with the wheels. I'm getting the bearings worked on and I'm going to ask them to look into what it may be if the bearings aren't the cause. I'll let you guys know the results sometime next week (I'm also replacing all 4 tires...)
If you are getting a squeaking noise from the bearings, they are probably toast.(literally), A bearing service is a good place to start, and while there make sure the calipers arent 'hanging'(if disk) or the brakes are in good shape and not adjusted out to much 'dragging' (if Drum). Also it looks like its in the need of a good front end alignment which CAN increase rolling resistance causing a small portion of what you are experiencing. Sounds like a combo of things you maybe have going on.... And maybe it isnt trans related at all... G/L and keep us informed....

Hmmm post # 318...
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Mopar Fan

Well, I got good news. The good news is that the car is rolling now. I took it out around my neighborhood, stopped at a stop sign... and then I let off of the brake and it went by it's self. So that problem is all good at this point. As for the bearings, they aren't terribly bad. Yes, I am getting them looked at but I am sure I could still get some life out of them.

Now that it rolls at a stop sign when I let go of the brake... it doesn't want to move by its self when I initially shift into drive. It'll move like it should in reverse... but with drive, I need to give it gas (I slowed down from 25, stopped, then it went). Should this be normal behavior? I mean, it rolls. Just not initially when I put it in drive.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Mopar Fanatic

A little hesitation isnt fatal, but could be a sign. Try and do a trans service first...
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Mopar Fan

Alright, will do. I'll take it in sometime and get the transmission looked at. If I continue driving it as it is, do you think it would stir up more problems? I'll definitely get it looked at, but just curious.

Off topic: This isn't the section to post this in, but I am in need for a washer fluid reservoir. Part #2771950. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can get one, please shoot me an IM. It'd be very much appreciated.