Trans won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans won't shift

96 Viper engine/clutch etc. 06 Ram RT 10 Tremec 6 spd & slave cylinder. Later model(new) Clutch Master Cylinder(not the one w/remote Reservoir). Engine running wheels in air can shift trans wheels spin. Wheels on ground , engine running Trans acts like locked up. Won't shift, no Grinding NO wheel spin. Won't do anything!. Measured on Master cylinder shaft which connects to clutch pedal shaft moves in 3/4 inch with clutch pedal to floor.
? Too short a stroke on master cylinder as clutch is depressed?
? Bad slave? Both units bled by book
? Is Ram slave stroke shorter that 96 Viper? 2 different part numbers 1 for 96 1 for 06.
? Where and what do I do to correct?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
When you get a new slave cylinder it has a plastic spacer that is held by 2 strapes holding it to the slave cylinder when you install the slave dont cut the straps they will break when you pump the clutch to bleed it. People have the tendency to cut the straps and loose the spacer causing the slave to not be able to have enough throw to disengage the clutch. Not saying thats what happened but its worth a look....Bill
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Spacer?

Bill,
Thanx for the come back. I put the Master cylinder in 2 yrs ago. Did not hook the clutch pedal 'til recently. Where do I look for the spacer? I don't remember 2 straps either. What I do recall is the cylinder, cap, clutch switch, hose, nuts and being prefilled. I am getting 3/4 inch stroke on the clutch activation rod (of a potential 2 inch travel with the clutch pedal hitting the factory stop. That is length of the activation rod to the molded in shoulder.??!!??
Tod/Desperota 488 = 56 DeSoto,Viper/Ram/Dakota front sub/dana60
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Mopar Lover

The spacer is between the slave rod and clutch fork. (Plastic or Nylon) It could have fallen out even if you didnt remove the slave cylinder. The strapes would only be there if it were new. they are installed compressed and when you bleed the clutch they break and fall out...Bill
Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 AM

Part 3! Still trying!
The clutch master cylinder has no shift fork, spacer etc all that is inside the trans bell housing. The MC is a piston, machined body, rod, safety switch and reservoir w/a braided hose to the slave/throw out bearing inside the transmission bell housing. The MC was new.
Question # 1. The clutch activation rod which extends through the firewall to the clutch pedal; is pushed in to the MC body 3/4 inch with the clutch pedal fully depressed; supplying pressure to the slave unit inside the transmission. Is 3/4 inch travel enough? Potential 2 inches travel but limited by clutch pedal linkages & built in factory stop.
# 2. The slave unit was never off the transmission. The entire trans unit came from a wreck.
# 3. Could the spacer fall out? In the book it looks like a sealed unit.?
# 4. A 96 Viper and 06 Ram R/T 10 have different part numbers for the slave cylinder/throwout bearing. Is there a difference in height and/or stroke?
I borrowed a bore scope and was able to get a poor picture of the pressure plate and slave. It would appear that the slave is moving maybe 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch and barely applying pressure to the clutch assembly. I am told there should be 1/2 inch movement. A
# 5 Am I getting enough pressure to the slave or is the slave defective? Too short?
# 6 Is the Viper clutch assembly thinner than the Ram? Therefore not enough compression to release the clutch? Thanx Desperota 488
Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Mopar Lover

My Bad I just looked again at what you have... The slave is the throw out bearing and do fail it is probably by passing internally and needs to be replaced esp. if it came from a salvage yard on the transmission. And I would get a slave/To bearing for the truck app...Bill