Pop Noise from Front-End

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pop Noise from Front-End

Hey everyone,

I've recently been getting a popping noise in my 1970 RoadRunner (manual brakes w/ discs front and drums in rear + power steering), and it can be felt through the steering wheel.

The Pop is definitely coming from the front-end of the car and it only happens at slow / crawling speeds. It occurs when turning the steering wheel more than a full turn, but it's a bit random and doesn't happen all the time. Going over a bump (not speed bump) like pulling into a parking lot / driveway will sometime trigger the sound as well.

The car is virtually restored new, so I doubt parts are already worn out, but I suspect something might be loose in the suspension setting. I do not suspect the brakes. Could the power steering be having issues as well?

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Which side is it coming from? This will help in narrowing down the amount of work you'll have to do to find the cause. New parts have defects sometimes that aren't noticed until in use. Check every bolt, nut and frame members. Looseness, improperly installed components and K-member cracks or broken welds contribute. Loose shocks and sway bar mounts are most noticeable under your condition as are faulty ball joints. And don't forget the torsion bar sockets if that's what you have. Raise the car off it's wheels slightly and see if it occurs when not loaded. Crank the wheels to both stops slowly and listen for strange sounds. Jounce the front violently when it's back on the ground. Check for loose caliper bolts or pads that fit poorly in the calipers and don't forget wheel bearing preload. Upper A-arms and bushings are also suspect when traveling over bumps. Here's a list of causes from the manual:

Ball joints need lubrication
Shocks inoperative or bushing worn
Worn strut bushings
Loose struts
Loose steering gear on frame
Worn or faulty upper control arm bushings
Worn lower control arm shaft bushings
Worn or binding tie rod ends
Loose or worn front wheel bearings
Steering arm contacting the control arm or strut

That's the OEM's list. Good luck!

Last edited by Rooty; 06-04-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rooty
Which side is it coming from? This will help in narrowing down the amount of work you'll have to do to find the cause. New parts have defects sometimes that aren't noticed until in use. Check every bolt, nut and frame members. Looseness, improperly installed components and K-member cracks or broken welds contribute. Loose shocks and sway bar mounts are most noticeable under your condition as are faulty ball joints. And don't forget the torsion bar sockets if that's what you have. Raise the car off it's wheels slightly and see if it occurs when not loaded. Crank the wheels to both stops slowly and listen for strange sounds. Jounce the front violently when it's back on the ground. Check for loose caliper bolts or pads that fit poorly in the calipers and don't forget wheel bearing preload. Upper A-arms and bushings are also suspect when traveling over bumps. Here's a list of causes from the manual:

Ball joints need lubrication
Shocks inoperative or bushing worn
Worn strut bushings
Loose struts
Loose steering gear on frame
Worn or faulty upper control arm bushings
Worn lower control arm shaft bushings
Worn or binding tie rod ends
Loose or worn front wheel bearings
Steering arm contacting the control arm or strut

That's the OEM's list. Good luck!
Thank you for the extensive list, much appreciated!
I'll grab my wrenches and double-check all those.

It is definitely coming from the driver's side. It happened again yesterday over a soft bump, and this time while the car was straight and not turning. Still at low speeds.