Need to add an Auxillary Fuse Block

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need to add an Auxillary Fuse Block

I have a street/strip 69 roadrunner with a trunk mounted battery and I need to add a 6 circuit auxillary fuse block to clean up the factory block that currently has an electric fuel pump, nitrous solenoids, electric fan, and gauge lights piggybacked into the circuits. I will mount the auxillary block near the factory fuse block. I don't need switched circuits because I will control the added circuits with toggle switches. I know I could source the 12v power lead from the battery, starter solenoid, or alternator. My question is could I possibly get the needed 12v supply for the auxillary fuse block from the starter relay mounted on the firewall without any issues? Thanks!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
yes
Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
The thing is, this is a "loaded question." With so much stuff on the car, you should not be using a factory harness, or at the least, you should have taken steps to improve it.

Read this excellent article on the hows and whys of problems with bulkhead connectors and factory ammeters and how to fix them, this of course written in ref to a stock system

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...p-gauges.shtml

So the answer is ALSO loaded. "It depends" on what you've done with the system. Generally I agree that the starter relay stud would be a good place. It will NOT properly indicate through the ammeter if it's still there. Worse, If the system is "factory," additional loads "off the starter relay" will have to go through the bulkhead TWICE when the alternator is the "source"

But pulling power "off the alternator" is likely a poor choice as well.

The ANSWER is to upgrade your wiring if you have not done so.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
The thing is, this is a "loaded question." With so much stuff on the car, you should not be using a factory harness, or at the least, you should have taken steps to improve it.

Read this excellent article on the hows and whys of problems with bulkhead connectors and factory ammeters and how to fix them, this of course written in ref to a stock system

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...p-gauges.shtml

So the answer is ALSO loaded. "It depends" on what you've done with the system. Generally I agree that the starter relay stud would be a good place. It will NOT properly indicate through the ammeter if it's still there. Worse, If the system is "factory," additional loads "off the starter relay" will have to go through the bulkhead TWICE when the alternator is the "source"

But pulling power "off the alternator" is likely a poor choice as well.

The ANSWER is to upgrade your wiring if you have not done so.
All wiring is upgraded and ammeter has been bypassed. Starter relay stud it is! Thanks