74 Scamp

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
74 Scamp

Hi All,

I am a "young new enthusiast" in the Mopar world, so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I have two questions, is a Plymouth Scamp an A body, and is a 440 a good candidate for it? It is a 74' and currently has 70,000 original miles with a slant six. I don't have the car yet but I have the 440 that a friend has given me. Thanks for any responses.

p.s. I am a welder and I have some experience in custom fabrication if there would be a need for modifications to make the engine fit. I don't however want to have to cut out the whole front end to make it work.

Cheers,

Joe welder
Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Well, no bites eh? So from what I could scrounge up on other sites for anybody interested it looks like I need a K frame member and some aftermarket motor mounts to make this work. I would really appreciate it if anybody has done this for some pics or feedback. I know the whole drive train has to go rear end included. Possibly some Torsion bars? And a custom driveshaft?

I'll get er done boy's! Or as we say on da rock, Atta B'y.

JW
Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Schumacher Creative is the route I went. I bought their whole package. Headers...motor mounts...and tourqe strap. You will need a big block tranny a minimum of an 8 3/4 rear and yes a new drive shaft. There are other ways to go with the k-member such as moving one of the motor mount perches back if you have spool type mounts.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by bremereric
Schumacher Creative is the route I went. I bought their whole package. Headers...motor mounts...and tourqe strap. You will need a big block tranny a minimum of an 8 3/4 rear and yes a new drive shaft. There are other ways to go with the k-member such as moving one of the motor mount perches back if you have spool type mounts.
Thanks, sounds like the way to go. I'll look into them and probably go the full meal deal as well.

Cheers,

JB
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Talking

It looks like I'll be putting a deposit on the car next weekend. The lady selling it has already pulled the ad. I'll take lots of pics. What kind of stuff should I look for when I inspect it? She told me I could drive it, just needs a little air in the tires. It's been parked for 4 years. Started, but not driven. Stored indoors which is a bonus especially up here in Canuck Country.

Christmas came late boys but good things come to those who wait!

Cheers,

Canuckle head Joe
Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Joe -

Look for frame or floor pan rust. Body rust might be expected. Since you're a welder, fabricating parts should be a snap.

Depending on the kind of HP you'll be putting out with the 440, you might need to look into subframe connectors, but again, that should be right up your alley.

Agree with B, check out Schumacher, they have a lot of stuff we had to make years ago.

Archer
Old 12-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by Archer
Joe -

Look for frame or floor pan rust. Body rust might be expected. Since you're a welder, fabricating parts should be a snap.

Depending on the kind of HP you'll be putting out with the 440, you might need to look into subframe connectors, but again, that should be right up your alley.

Agree with B, check out Schumacher, they have a lot of stuff we had to make years ago.

Archer
Sounds good Archer,

I was thinking of taking my floor jack,stands and creeper, jacking it up and with a good light go over the bottom end with a fine tooth comb. With rust in those areas you are talking about, am I looking for serious rust and holes? I mean there is probably going to be some surface rust in those spots would you think? For $4K should I expect to get a body that doesn't need any panels replaced or cutting? I personally think so but that's just my opinion. Seeing how popular this hobby is I think some of these vehicles can get overpriced pretty quick. The lady selling does seem honest enough though. She inherited this vehicle from her uncle the original owner and it was in the lower mainland BC, Canada (I don't think they use salt on the roads there). I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll let you know how it turns out. If I do put the deposit then maybe I can get some more specific advice on the Cam and other stuff for the 440 from you. it has been a fun couple of months anyways and I hope I am hooked for life! Cheers and Happy New Year!

Joe
Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Does anyone know what the approx. Curb weight of a 74' slant six Scamp?

JB
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Well curb weight turns out to be about 2800Lbs. But not that it matters... apparently the car sold today. Thats what happens when you don't have the in your pocket I guess. Not looking until that happens now. Back to the drawing board.

On another note HAPPY NEW YEARS MOPAR LOVERS!

Cheers,

Joe