'75 Dodge Dart question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'75 Dodge Dart question

Hey everyone, I posted a bit about this a week ago, but didn't have all the right info in it, and coupled with being gone for a week, was too late to really get back to anyone. So here it is again!

Original: "Hey guys, I've got a '75 Swinger that has a 3 speed on the column, which was all well and good til the bushing went out. Now I'd like to change to a 3 speed on the floor to make things a bit easier, but I have no idea what kind of linkage or shifter I should be buying to make this change. Can anyone shoot me some ideas? Would really love to be able to get this car moving again. Thanks!"

It is a manual trans, not an automatic. I tried to remove the steering column to get at the bushings inside of it, but thus far have been unable to actually pull the column out. Guess that's what I get for not following instructions and just yankin it apart!

Anyways, if anyone has very detailed instructions on how I'd be able to fix it as is, that'd be great, but I'd also like to know what kind of linkage/shifter combo I could buy to convert it to a floor shift. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

try hurst shifters but a three speed is rare
mabe try year one for the bushing in the column
but most people chuck the 3 speed and replace it with a 4 speed
Old 10-28-2012, 07:05 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
Use this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-5010002/overview/

Tip: Install the linkage and shifter on the tranny and mark where the shifter will come thru the floor from the bottom up. Make sure it is in neutral when you set your center. Don't use a drill for the pilot hole as it will unwind the carpet. Use an awe or punch and transfer the mark to the carpet. Then pull the carpet. The shifter cover with the kit is HUGE. I make the smallest hole in the floor possible after I set my stops on the linkage. Then use the catalog to buy a shifter boot that fits my hole. Give it a custom look. You can double the boot under the shifter too for added sound and heat blockage. Rubber under neath and leather boot on top to match the seats. Just an idea for you.

If you are good with the welder you can cut and realign the lever under the car to get it to come out where you desire. I usually do that to center the lever, just watch the heat near the chrome that will be visible in the car if you keep it chrome.

You can knock out the pin on the column shifter and leave the collar on or pull the collar, grind, fill the hole and paint to match.