hello

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
hello

i just got a 1967 valiant and now the alternator quit charging. i am thinking the regulator but i am not totaly sure. when i check the regulator on both sides with a test light it lights up even when the car is running. i have the lead hooked to the pos side of the bat and tested the alt and the regulator and the light comes on is it the reg or is it the alt. thank you in advance for your help.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
This should help: https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/s...g-system-9905/
Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Mopar Fanatic

thank you for the link. looks like i have some testing to do.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Mopar Fanatic

i think i got it figured out. did a volatage test today and it's getting 13.5 volt at around 3,000-3500 rpms. so i think i need a smaller alt pulley.
\
Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Mopar Fanatic

i've gotten a few things done on my car lately. added some after market wheel covers and got a few parts for her. last night when i got home i hit the brakes and the pedal hit the floor. luckly i wasn't going very fast when it happened.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

sorry i haven't been on lately but i have been working 2 jobs for a while now down to one. i am having some trouble finding a windshield for my 67 valiant 2 door sedan. i have been looking since February and not having much luck. i know i should have come to the mopar gurus to begin with but that requires some common sense.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/am...AbQaAurR8P8HAQ
Summit as them,AMD
Old 05-31-2015, 08:19 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mikerp76
i think i got it figured out. did a volatage test today and it's getting 13.5 volt at around 3,000-3500 rpms. so i think i need a smaller alt pulley.
\
Frankly I doubt that. You need to find out what the actual trouble is instead of guessing. These systems are very easy to troubleshoot.

If you don't have one, start by going over to MyMopar to the tools / reference and download a service manual

Divide the problem into sections.

Is it a partially failed alternator?

Voltage regulator?

Output circuit wiring problem?

Field circuit wiring problem?

======================================

My "guess" for top list of suspects in no particular order:

Partially failed alternator

Bad connection in the output circuit

Possibly bad regulator.

======================================l

Start by runnning some simple tests. Disconnect the regulator wire (field) green wire from the alternator. Hook a clip lead to that alternator terminal, and run it over to the battery stud on the starter relay.

With a voltmeter on the battery, start and run the engine, and slowly bring up RPM. A good alternator with a good, charged battery will immediately 'right above idle" start raising the voltage. "A good fast idle" should have no trouble generating 14V or so. Turn on headlights, heater, any other heavy loads. Bring up RPM and it should come up to 14V and above. Don't allow it above 16

Now move your voltmeter probe FROM the NEGATIVE battery terminal to the alternator OUTPUT stud. That is one probe on the alternator, the other on the battery POSITIVE post.

Bring up the RPM as before. The voltage you seek is "the lower the better." If it's above about 1Volt, you have a problem in the output circuit. Bad connection somewhere, most likely bulkhead connector or right at the ammeter

========================================

If the two tests above show OK, remount the regulator. It MUST be grounded. A good charged battery with all loads off f and running at "a good fast idle" should show WARM no less than 13.5 and no more than 14.5, optimum is 13.8--14.2

Use a voltmeter to check voltage at the VR IGN terminal. This is 'switched ignition' or "ignition run", "IGN 1" on the Mopar diagrams. With key in RUN and engine stopped, you should see within .3V or closer to "same as" battery voltage. If not, you have voltage drop in that circuit.

If you don't see that replace the VR. Buy a good one.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

thank you both for the replies. i will have to check with amd and see if i can get it directly. i have noticed that with the car sitting and no load the battery drains down to nothing. so i will have to check for some parasitic drain in the electrical system.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Mopar Fanatic

checked with amd and summit they don't carry one for my year valiant. the windshield is different than the dart and 4 door sedan.