Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   A-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   No power (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/no-power-23560/)

Thomas J. Cox 11-16-2020 06:10 PM

No power

I have a 1972 plymouth valiant 318. Last night I was driving and when I put my lights on my voltmeter went all the way over to the high charge and then the car died. Would not start nothing. tested battery today and it was good. looks like there is some black soot on the alternator. Would a burned out alternator cause the car not to start at all?

Archer 11-16-2020 07:26 PM

Thomas -

A car doesn't need an alternator to "start", but if the alternator blew or rather burnt and took a few wires with it, then maybe.
I'd take a good good at all the wires and replace any harnesses that look questionable.

Archer

Thomas J. Cox 11-16-2020 07:43 PM

Hi, thanks. I don't see any burned wires.

fivepoint 11-17-2020 01:10 AM

I would take a hard look at your harness. Sounds like when you turned the lights on, something put a hard draw on the system. It could be behind the dash or at the bulkhead connector.

John Van 11-17-2020 01:19 PM

Like fivepoint said, On my '73 I had to jump over the bulkhead connection that burned and replaced the ammeter for a voltmeter. Good luck!

Skwerly 11-24-2020 09:41 AM

Also may be good idea to inspect voltage regulator and ballast resistor, and trace all grounds to the lighting system.

Thomas J. Cox 11-26-2020 09:55 AM

I have a 1972 plymouth valiant 318. Last night I was driving and when I put my lights on my voltmeter went all the way over to the high charge and then the car died. Would not start nothing. tested battery today and it was good. looks like there is some black soot on the alternator. Would a burned out alternator cause the car not to start at all... Found a fusable link that was burned. replaced it and still no power. Battery is fully charged.. Frustrated. Doies not click when I try to start it.