Headers hitting the ground!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Old As Dirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does everything have to have this stance for header clearance lol?
Attached Thumbnails Headers hitting the ground!-gasser5.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 PM

If you have fourteen inch wheels, try fifteens and higher profile tires. Air shocks in the back can give you a little on demand too (if they still make them).
Old 05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
6f4 -

Air shocks in the back can give you a little on demand too (if they still make them).
The Gabriel's are history, but Monroe still makes them.

Archer
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Mopar Fan

i have air shocks in the back of my car and the more i raise it up, the worse the front will drag.
Originally Posted by 64polara
my headers hit the ground to. Ive only got 4 in. from the ground.

the sucky thing is i wanted to lower the front a little and raise the back, but not sure how that is going to happen.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Mopar Fan

im hoping i can wrench on it saturday and i will post what happens.
Originally Posted by 67gtxclone
Really nice car! It sounds like you have all the advice you need. Let us know what you decide to do and if it works or not.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Mopar Fan

yea i think 15's would help out, i just didnt want to buy new wheels and tires if i didnt have to. but we will see after i work on it this weekend.
Originally Posted by 6fury4
If you have fourteen inch wheels, try fifteens and higher profile tires. Air shocks in the back can give you a little on demand too (if they still make them).
Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess the problem is a combination of your ride height and wheel/tire setup. I went with 15" all the way around and even with the chunky BFG's the header ground clearance is a little low for my taste on stock ride height specs.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Mopar Fan

i cranked the torsion bars up and havent hit the ground yet. and i havent had the steering get stuck either. so i gess that did the trick! the stance is higher but still looks good i think.
thanks for your help guys!!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Goose -

Cool - the stance looks fine. IMHO. The wheels "look" a little small both front and rear, so a larger wheel / tire diameter may be something you might want to consider in the future - no rush, she's looking good.

The more I think about it, I did have the same problem when I was running a small block, and that was the fix!

BTW - careful, don't mix the fuels between your two rides - sweet Saber ...

Archer
Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 PM

yeah, i have the same problem, but only on driveways and speed bumps, but I drive on it to miss, but sometimes I dont. I have gas shocks though, which I find to be a little bit of the problem. I have P215/60R14's on the front, which is a little bit of another problem. I am going to change them to 70 series when they are bald or when I do the front drum to disc conversion. put 15's back on the front and then by non gas shocks, should handle a little better too!

Last edited by Chevyoutlaw; 06-13-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: because i am dumb, lol!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
car looks good goose
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Mopar Fan

i think i might go to 15" rims and tires next year to.

Originally Posted by Chevyoutlaw
yeah, i have the same problem, but only on driveways and speed bumps, but I drive on it to miss, but sometimes I dont. I have gas shocks though, which I find to be a little bit of the problem. I have P215/60R14's on the front, which is a little bit of another problem. I am going to change them to 70 series when they are bald or when I do the front drum to disc conversion. put 15's back on the front and then by non gas shocks, should handle a little better too!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Mopar Fan

thanks

Originally Posted by 67 GTX
car looks good goose
Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

i love that style of wheel!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 AM

after messing with your torsion bars you might want to get your alignment checked adjusting them up or down can throw it off
very nice lookin charger
Terry
Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Mopar Fan

yea i noticed the steering is different, im going to get it alignment asap.
thanks

Originally Posted by ef8340
after messing with your torsion bars you might want to get your alignment checked adjusting them up or down can throw it off
very nice lookin charger
Terry
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Whoa... whoa... you just can't go *****-nilly & crank up the torsion bars. They are an alignment specification = ride height. With the proper size wheels & tires, tires properly inflated, the height must be then measured. From a level ground to the lowest point of the steering-arm vs. the lowest point of the adjusting pivot. There will be a difference. It must be what the specs are for your car. Somewhere around 1 7/8 , but the specs must be checked for the specific year & model. Then, caster/camber/toe-in are adjusted. If your headers hit the ground after the alignment, you have bad shocks or bad headers.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Mopar Lover

Robby -

Welcome aboard.

Sorry to break this to you but a lot of the cars we're discussing are no wear near stock. The torsion bars can and in a lot of cases should be adjusted to the specific situation. Also, given the age (and history) of a lot of our cars, the frames are less than perfectly straight. So, while what you're saying may be correct, it has to be taken with a grain of salt - and frankly, adjusting ride height via torsion bar adjustment has been done successfully too many times to debate.

Archer
Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM

I had this same problem with my dart A body tho w/318 small block, freakn headers would always scrap on bumps or dips, got the ride hight pretty high in the front but the way i drive it kept on scraping, went with the headman headers, bent and smashed the **** of them, went with the patriot headers did the same thing, so just got tired of it and went back to stock manifolds. I would like to go with DOugs headers but they are out of my budjet and the TTIs i thinks its way too expensive but you get wat you pay for. DO they have shorty headers that would fit the darts with power steering??

Last edited by 72swingage; 12-15-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Archer
Robby -

Welcome aboard.

Sorry to break this to you but a lot of the cars we're discussing are no wear near stock. The torsion bars can and in a lot of cases should be adjusted to the specific situation. Also, given the age (and history) of a lot of our cars, the frames are less than perfectly straight. So, while what you're saying may be correct, it has to be taken with a grain of salt - and frankly, adjusting ride height via torsion bar adjustment has been done successfully too many times to debate.

Archer
Sorry to break this to you, but if it's the factory k-frame & suspension... it's stock. Nothing to do with headers,etc. Ride-height is an engineered spec. IF you choose to alter it, then you must ensure that caster & (directly) camber is set. And if your driving with a bent frame, it shouldn't be on the road. Proper alignment should NEVER be taken with a grain of salt. At least it isn't in my shop for 35 years.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Robby -

No one is saying that you should drive around with wheels out of alignment, (even thought some folks do these days, just because it looks "cool") but the cars we drive are rarely to factory spec. Using the torsion bars to adjust front-end height is a fairly old, simple and safe procedure, providing you know what you're doing.

Sorry to break this to you, but most cars of the vintage were dealing are less than perfectly straight. Just reality.

BTW - jointing a forum and looking for a fight on your first post isn't exactly cool.

Archer
Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Robby -

No one is saying that you should drive around with wheels out of alignment, (even thought some folks do these days, just because it looks "cool") but the cars we drive are rarely to factory spec. Using the torsion bars to adjust front-end height is a fairly old, simple and safe procedure, providing you know what you're doing.

Sorry to break this to you, but most cars of the vintage were dealing are less than perfectly straight. Just reality.

BTW - jointing a forum and looking for a fight on your first post isn't exactly cool.

Archer
I'm with you Archer!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 72swingage
I had this same problem with my dart A body tho w/318 small block, freakn headers would always scrap on bumps or dips, got the ride hight pretty high in the front but the way i drive it kept on scraping, went with the headman headers, bent and smashed the **** of them, went with the patriot headers did the same thing, so just got tired of it and went back to stock manifolds. I would like to go with DOugs headers but they are out of my budjet and the TTIs i thinks its way too expensive but you get wat you pay for. DO they have shorty headers that would fit the darts with power steering??
Back in the day.....
There weren't as many header manufacturers out there as there are now. The unwritten rule was that Hooker Headers seemed to tuck up a bit tighter than the competition's and the Hooker's were also more expensive than the competition's.
Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by 72swingage
Hedman puts out a set of short headers that I'm sure would work in your case. If the motor is mostly stock to mild build, I'm sure that you'll get more out of a pair of short headers than you will a pair of long tube headers.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Oh ok, Ill definetly check those shorty headers out then 78d200 and thanks for the info too silverick.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Robby -

Archer
Uh.. excuse me... "sorry to break this to you" (YOUR inital reply quote) is quite condescending, straight out of YOUR mouth. No wonder people complain about how these Mopars can't handle well, with terrible bumpsteer,etc. Let's just say, I've adjusted a few of these. And every one handled better after a proper alignment. I just happened to come across this place looking for something else. I guess I'm not qualified to offer my experience.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Mopar Fan

TTI headers don`t go under the drag link and give you more clearance. Yes, they do cost more but are worth it IMO. Mike
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Install a good set of front shocks. Your stance looks fine. Then after the shocks are on, if it still bottoms some and steering locks then crank up the torsion bars a little. I believe you will be amazed at the difference a good set of shocks will make.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:38 PM

1972 Charger

hi my name is John, pretty sure this is my old charger, would love to come see it sometime if you still have it! i had it for 7 years. if you can, contact me at 419-618-7035, call or text.
Attached Thumbnails Headers hitting the ground!-chrager.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
In this day and age it is difficult to get a good alignment