New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

Hello from Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from Alabama

Long way to go!
Hello all. Originally from Alabama. Just recently retired active duty Army after 25 years. Now retired and back in Alabama.

Lifelong lover of classic cars, trucks, and motorcycles. I've owned a few motorcycles but have since sold. Then, I transitioned to classic Toyota Land Cruisers. I own a few currently. What I've never owned is a classic car. Years ago, at 14/15 years old, I used to buy the local bulletin board and go straight to the classic car section and dream of one day owning one. Well, two days ago, at 45 years old, I bought one.

Saw a MP ad for a 1966 Dodge Charger in N Georgia. Car is very complete and original so I jumped on the deal. It does have a slightly later 383. The bill of sale has an E or F designator for the engine making it an original 318 or 361. So, almost glad to have the 383. This old gal needs lots but things like all interior lights work, headlights work. I have 50lbs of oil pressure on start up. Still needs sorting out. Wiring, cooling, carb adjustments, new tires, trim put back on, and a good deep cleaning. In 48 hours i have:
Changed the oil/filter
added new fuel line and filter
replaced cap, rotor, spark plugs
added trans fluid
Ordered new fuel tank and sending unit
Ordered new brake booster and wheel cylinders

Future plans:
Clean her up really well
install new tires
Sort the brakes and electrical
Sort the cooling, carb, timing
Potentially rebuild steering and suspension
And then just enjoy the heck out of her.

I am no mechanic.. and over time on here I'll prove it I'M GOING TO NEED HELP AND GUIDANCE FROM THIS COMMUNITY! I am able to get this car started and running/idling. However, when I accelerate, it SLOWLY increases in RPM and then just bogs down. I double checked points and timing. I think the Edelbrock 600cfm needs adjusting and/or I have serious vacuum leaks. My hide-away headlights wont open too.. I think that's common for these. Can I manually just keep them open for now? Who are the preferred vendors that are out there? Thoughts/guidance?

Old 07-20-2022, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
......and I need front and rear bumpers!
Old 07-21-2022, 08:31 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Welcome... Neat Project... Thanks For Sharing... Cheers