New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

little help here fellas

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little help here fellas

Hey guys I'm new not only here but also as a mopar owner. I recently purchased a '66 belvedere II 2 door hardtop with a 361 and auto trans. 60k mile california car with perfect factory interior (gold and dark green vinyl and cloth - oh well it was the 60's) the factory laquer paint (pale yellow - body, trunk, mounts and frame absolutely no rust ever). I know everyone has heard - including me - the 92 year old women story. But this time it happened to me - the 92 year old passed and I got it from the daughter. These cars do not look as if they bring a lot of money. I have always liked the body style even as a long time Chevy owner, and being a Ford, Chevy or what ever owner, everyone still loves the Mopars - even if they won't admit it. Would it be a crime (I personally feel maybe it would be) to mini-tub this car and trans plant a motor (421 cisb chevy) and a Jerico 4 speed that came out of my Chevelle (sold it rolling). I really hate the idea of cutting up a piece of history but it does not seem like these cars are really collector material. I know nobody here wants to see a Chevy motor go in but I would not intend to sell it if I do the transplant. It is the untouched, unrestored very nice car we all dream of finding now-a-days to build into the car we want. So if this is a car that a collector or Mopar guy may be interested in I don't want to change it. Let me know your thoughts and I will post some pics. Thanks for taking time and great forum you have here.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
C-

Look it's your car, so your call. If you've been to any car shows lately, exactly how many of those have you seen unrestored in mint condition?

If you really want to do a custom job, think most guys here would say sell it (probably get a few bucks) and pick up something that really needs work and have a ball with that. If you said the car was a basket case and needed a rebuild, then you'd have a better argument for doing it. Put out a few feelers and see what you can get for it.

Speaking a little from experience, I did a number on my Charger for racing back in the 80's and now I'm a little sorry that I did.

Archer
Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Mopar Fan

I agree 100% with Archer
Just a friendly opinion, why dont you build the 361 thats in it? Those motors are more unique than any chevy motor you could reasonably drop in. Also, consider all of the mods you would have to make to convert it to an all chevy drivetrain. OR, clean it up, sell it for a profit, and buy a more common mid 70's a body or the like and do a chevy conversion with that if you wish with more in hand.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:19 AM
Mopar Lover

OMG, I swear if one more person comes on here that's gonna put a Cheby motor in a Mopar I am going to the bell tower..lock and load !
How does this thought come into peoples minds...??
For the love of god preserve the car. Please.

Oh ya, Welcome to the forum man.

Last edited by Polaradude; 10-20-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome!

Don't mind Polaradude, he just hates everything non-Mopar. But in all reality, keep the Mopar drivetrain.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!! Don't you realize that a mopar will spit out a chebby motor?? "What was that bad taste in my mouth?"
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Archer has a kind way of telling you like it is. We here are Mopar enthusiast and love every thing Mopar. Sorry but that thought just doesn't go well with folks around here, and if the car is as clean as you say I would sell it for the profit
Old 10-20-2010, 07:57 AM

hey really appreciate all the feedback, just wanted to make sure it wasn't the 66 impala of Mopars. I personally have always liked them. It will stay all original and I'll post some pics on Mopar of the month - please give feedback on what you think it is worth. I paid $7,500 so I don't think I'll get hurt. Just to show we love all cars around here and to get a good laugh - go to you tube and type in Buck the 4 door buick. My brother won dragweek daily driver with this ultimate sleeper averaging 10.90. The car has gone 10.40's on a 175 shot with one steel head and one aluminum head. The drive train I have setting (and was thinking of putting in the Belvie) is out of my chevelle that makes a pass after buck. It was the first test pass after getting it together so it was off on 60' and et. It is a pump gas no power adders (nitrous etc.) motor and did get driven on the street.
has gone 10.20's but Would go quicker in the lighter Belvedere. That is why it is tempting - but I agree all mopar is cooler. I will just try and find a cheap chassis for the chevy stuff.

Last edited by cmccoy; 10-20-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the forum
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Build it with all mopar parts or sell it and surround that motor you have with a chevy shell. Butchering a complete mopar thats in perfect condition would be a mistake even if you don't think it's worth anything the mopar gods would make your project miserable.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Keep it mopar.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Mopar Lover

hello Mister mccoy, welcome to the site. im polaradudes sinister sidekick. I do the black jobs he doesnt have the stomach to handle. So ,If you cut up the bellvie and put a chubby motor in it,Ill visit you in your dreams and turn them into nightmares of you stuck on a desert island w/ one very horny joe pishcapo. lmao, just kidding. well no not really. sounds like a nice car.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 PM

You guys are a riot (I'm a butcher getting shot from the tower and dropped off on an island so Joe can give some man love to my corpse), yet somehow........... I know you are serious.
No worries it is staying all factory - I do need a rear bumper - the old gal dinged it but luckily didn't get into the body. Will a 66 coronet rear bumper work - from what I can tell the bumper brackets are different?