New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New to Mopar

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I will be honest here my thoughts anyway.. Because you are missing so many parts hood, grill, fenders and the floor pans are shot. Plus you said the braces. I bet the torque boxes are shot also.. Your better off finding another car and use that car for parts..

Chargers around me for sale
71 3200.00

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3487967921.html

71 4500.00
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3511422532.html

71 3000.00
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3443991415.html

73 1800.00
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3550711477.html
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PURPLE HORONET
I will be honest here my thoughts anyway.. Because you are missing so many parts hood, grill, fenders and the floor pans are shot. Plus you said the braces. I bet the torque boxes are shot also.. Your better off finding another car and use that car for parts..

Chargers around me for sale
71 3200.00

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3487967921.html

71 4500.00
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3511422532.html

71 3000.00
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3443991415.html

73 1800.00
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3550711477.html
I'd like to get a donor car, but most everything I need to get started I can buy or fix and I'm happy with that.

Once I get the floor pans right, then I'm going to work on the suspension and chassis. Then the body and the interior.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Mopar Fan

I need some instant advice, like, instantly!

I just ran across a ram charger hood, I want a ram charger hood, guy wants $3,500 for it and has all the parts for it too.

However, my budget this year is quite limited. If I try to get the hood I can pretty much forget getting floorpans and innerfenders in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's the deal. I feel safe that I can buy floor pans and innerfenders, and that kind of sheet metal in the future; but I don't feel like there is going to be too many chances to nab a complete ram charger hood.

What to do? @_@
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FERAL
I need some instant advice, like, instantly!

I just ran across a ram charger hood, I want a ram charger hood, guy wants $3,500 for it and has all the parts for it too.

However, my budget this year is quite limited. If I try to get the hood I can pretty much forget getting floorpans and innerfenders in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's the deal. I feel safe that I can buy floor pans and innerfenders, and that kind of sheet metal in the future; but I don't feel like there is going to be too many chances to nab a complete ram charger hood.

What to do? @_@
Well thats your choice. If your asking if that is a good deal.. ehh you might do some shopping on ebay and yearone and see how much it would cost you to put your own together. You may come out saving a bit at that price. I know yearone offers pretty much everything for the air grabber/ram charger hood. You are talking about the hood with the scoop that pops up when you push the switch right? And not the hood with the 2 scoops on each side? In all honesty I'm really only familiar with 68-70 b bodies and e bodies. So not real sure about 71-74 b bodies. But I do know those air grabber hoods are a chunk of change. Just not quite so sure they are that much. If I were you I would pass it up get the parts that you NEED to get your car safely on the road and then worry about all the cool stuff lol. But it's a lot easier said than done, I know lol.

Also you said earlier that you didn't know how to do body work. There is something I always tell myself when I get into anything I'm not sure about or don't know about... and that is .. Ehh I'll figure it out .. lmao sounds crazy I know. But there is only one way to learn. And that is by doing it. Use a lot of google and youtube. Learn how to do it. Don't mean to be harsh or anything but you can't really hop into a project and expect to be able to get by without doing body work (especially a project that is extensive as yours). Body work really isn't hard. Really about the only thing I would suggest for you NOT to try is welding if you don't know how. Welding unfortunately takes a lot of experience to get the hang of and even more experience to be able to weld thin body metal without burning through or warping it. But as far as dent removal and using body filler... Thats all easy just takes time and a good hand and eye. As someone else said earlier you may be better off using your car for parts and buying another charger in better condition. You may end up sinking a lot more money into it than its worth with it being as bad as it is. And welcome aboard btw.

Last edited by rcknrolfender79; 02-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by rcknrolfender79
Well thats your choice. If your asking if that is a good deal.. ehh you might do some shopping on ebay and yearone and see how much it would cost you to put your own together. You may come out saving a bit at that price. I know yearone offers pretty much everything for the air grabber/ram charger hood. You are talking about the hood with the scoop that pops up when you push the switch right? And not the hood with the 2 scoops on each side? In all honesty I'm really only familiar with 68-70 b bodies and e bodies. So not real sure about 71-74 b bodies. But I do know those air grabber hoods are a chunk of change. Just not quite so sure they are that much. If I were you I would pass it up get the parts that you NEED to get your car safely on the road and then worry about all the cool stuff lol. But it's a lot easier said than done, I know lol.

Also you said earlier that you didn't know how to do body work. There is something I always tell myself when I get into anything I'm not sure about or don't know about... and that is .. Ehh I'll figure it out .. lmao sounds crazy I know. But there is only one way to learn. And that is by doing it. Use a lot of google and youtube. Learn how to do it. Don't mean to be harsh or anything but you can't really hop into a project and expect to be able to get by without doing body work (especially a project that is extensive as yours). Body work really isn't hard. Really about the only thing I would suggest for you NOT to try is welding if you don't know how. Welding unfortunately takes a lot of experience to get the hang of and even more experience to be able to weld thin body metal without burning through or warping it. But as far as dent removal and using body filler... Thats all easy just takes time and a good hand and eye. As someone else said earlier you may be better off using your car for parts and buying another charger in better condition. You may end up sinking a lot more money into it than its worth with it being as bad as it is. And welcome aboard btw.
The problem with 71-74 B body cars is that nothing is reproduced, seemingly, from the firewall forward except inner fenders and a core support; body wise anyway. So coming across a hood like this, that's complete I kinda wanna jump on it.

But at the same time, $3,500 is a huge spend on just a single part.

I'm needing floor pans and inner fenders, which I can get them for less than a grand; so if I did try to get the hood it wouldn't take me all that long to buy these other parts.

I just, dunno...
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I hear ya on the nothing reproduced part. I don't know how much hoods go for but $3,500 does seem like a lot for something that in the time being your only going to be able to look at.

My theory is to the running works going. Save the money for the parts you need now, and keep an eye out for deals as you go. However like I stated earlier. I don't know how much a hood is going for. I would pass on the hood for now.

I my self would love to have an air grabber hood with the pop up scoop. But I will have to make do with the plain jane hood I have.... by cutting a hole in it and letting a blower stick out of it.

A lack of funds or parts can inspire original or creative ways to work around a problem.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Buffalojoe426
I hear ya on the nothing reproduced part. I don't know how much hoods go for but $3,500 does seem like a lot for something that in the time being your only going to be able to look at.

My theory is to the running works going. Save the money for the parts you need now, and keep an eye out for deals as you go. However like I stated earlier. I don't know how much a hood is going for. I would pass on the hood for now.

I my self would love to have an air grabber hood with the pop up scoop. But I will have to make do with the plain jane hood I have.... by cutting a hole in it and letting a blower stick out of it.

A lack of funds or parts can inspire original or creative ways to work around a problem.
I thought about trying to fabricate floor pans to save money, but I've got to replace so much that it's just best to buy a premold. The floor pans are so far gone that they can't support my weight to get into the car.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Mopar Fan

Well, I just had another idea today.

I know and understand that the Charger will take some time before it's even worthy of an engine. So in the mean time I have an opportunity for a Muscle Car I could work on and drive even as early as this summer, and have a potential to make a good profit off of.

So, I'm gonna look into taking that route. I estimate I could walk away with about $6,000 or $7,000 roughly to get started on the Charger.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You are gonna buy a car to flip? then use the proceeds to finance the charger. I think that is a silly idea [due to the economy] you'll dump money into something then try to sell it and recoupe your investment plus a little more. Go ahead and do what you want but others have tried the same thing and well lets say it didn't work out as planned. My sugesstions are as follows #1 buy a beater car and build the charger slowly #2 sell the charger and find a muscle car better suited to your abilitys. I'm sorry for being so honest but i have seen this a dozen times [including myself].
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome and Check out Auto metal direct they are making dome parts for the 71-74 Chargers but some are 71 only. If yo u want some used parts pm me and I will send you a phone number of a friend that you might be able to find some of what you need.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by lou3500
You are gonna buy a car to flip? then use the proceeds to finance the charger. I think that is a silly idea [due to the economy] you'll dump money into something then try to sell it and recoupe your investment plus a little more. Go ahead and do what you want but others have tried the same thing and well lets say it didn't work out as planned. My sugesstions are as follows #1 buy a beater car and build the charger slowly #2 sell the charger and find a muscle car better suited to your abilitys. I'm sorry for being so honest but i have seen this a dozen times [including myself].
I'm actually getting a pretty good deal on a 78 Trans Am with lots of parts.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
My point exactly [why do you think it's a good deal] cauze maybe it's got some issues you are not aware of or maybe a 78 trans am ain't worth much [not knocking pontiacs] what i'm trying to say is in this economy dumping a lot of [even a little] into something to flip with the illusion of making more than you invested is very rare. My sugestion is to find a beater car [in my case it would be an A body mopar with a slanty] then slowly purchase parts for the charger once it was finished [driver project] then sell or do an engine swap to the A body [which would be my choice] or sell everything and get an almost/fully done done car, i say this cauze i have known too many people who have purchased several projects with good intentions only to sell them as scrap or dirt cheep cauze they got burnt out.Your heart is in the right place [as far as the love of old cars] but i don't think you mind is getting the full spectrum of all that is involved [labor/money] in bringing that car back to life,it can be done but it will be a long journey and expensive [trust me on this i'm building one 2 years on body work alone] and mine is a lowbuck restoration [i have done everything myself and plan on doing the entire thing myself] we are making a street bruser not a show car. I'm doing this to see if i can do this and keep it in my budget. Best of luck to you i'm sure you'll figure something out!!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Welcome to the forum... The best place to get sheet metal is at www.autometaldirect.com they have everything for Mopars AND they are the only place that is Mopar certified for exact fit. they have the original Mopar sheet metal stamps. They are also the cheapest no middle man. that will get you started. Pick up an Mopar Muscle magazine there are all kinds of web sites for everything you need to build the whole car from new stuff. If you have the money.. Lol I just chect out the web site I gave you you may have to call them on the fenders. Also your car is a B body. Check it out youll be suprized what you can get.

Last edited by pro-tech; 02-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by lou3500
My point exactly [why do you think it's a good deal] cauze maybe it's got some issues you are not aware of or maybe a 78 trans am ain't worth much [not knocking pontiacs] what i'm trying to say is in this economy dumping a lot of [even a little] into something to flip with the illusion of making more than you invested is very rare. My sugestion is to find a beater car [in my case it would be an A body mopar with a slanty] then slowly purchase parts for the charger once it was finished [driver project] then sell or do an engine swap to the A body [which would be my choice] or sell everything and get an almost/fully done done car, i say this cauze i have known too many people who have purchased several projects with good intentions only to sell them as scrap or dirt cheep cauze they got burnt out.Your heart is in the right place [as far as the love of old cars] but i don't think you mind is getting the full spectrum of all that is involved [labor/money] in bringing that car back to life,it can be done but it will be a long journey and expensive [trust me on this i'm building one 2 years on body work alone] and mine is a lowbuck restoration [i have done everything myself and plan on doing the entire thing myself] we are making a street bruser not a show car. I'm doing this to see if i can do this and keep it in my budget. Best of luck to you i'm sure you'll figure something out!!
I'll admit that the Charger is a bit more than I can handle and I'll need to chip away at it, but the Trans Am is something I can handle. It's a GM product and I'm quite familiar with GM, so if there is something wrong with the car that I don't know about I'm sure I can fix it.

I know the TA ain't worth much, but I've been seeing 77-79 TA's in my general area going for $5,000 - $7,000 in roughly the same condition as this TA, and the guy has offered me the car for $3,000.

Originally Posted by pro-tech
Welcome to the forum... The best place to get sheet metal is at www.autometaldirect.com they have everything for Mopars AND they are the only place that is Mopar certified for exact fit. they have the original Mopar sheet metal stamps. They are also the cheapest no middle man. that will get you started. Pick up an Mopar Muscle magazine there are all kinds of web sites for everything you need to build the whole car from new stuff. If you have the money.. Lol I just chect out the web site I gave you you may have to call them on the fenders. Also your car is a B body. Check it out youll be suprized what you can get.
I've got an AMD magazine.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Mopar Fan

I thought about it some, and I'm leaning towards buying another Charger instead. I've found a number of 73 and 74 Models in the surrounding states here that could give me a really good start on parts I need for my 72 Rallye, for anything between $1,200 to $4,000