General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 383 driving us nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
The very first thing to do is have a critical listen with a stethascope, although it sounds as if you may have. I'd try that again.

Second, or maybe even first, is to start with the engine cold so that you can run it a few minutes. Pull ALL belts, and try. Next, inspect carefully the balancer-to-timing cover. It might pay to pull the balancer out a little like maybe 3/8" and run a short time. Just a few seconds will tell. I doubt that the distributor is causing this, but you should be able to pull it out and rotate by hand, dissasemble, and find out.

Don't forget (dumbass) mistakes like the balancer/ pulleys rubbing AT cooler or PS hoses

Now, (in general) many engines had changes in timing drive components over the years. We once had a Ford 302 with a mismatched problem with the cam drive that allowed the cam to "walk" front and rear. This was a brand new assembly, and damn near ruined the cam. As I recall, the early/late cam drive components could be switched IF you had all the right pieces, IE you did not try and run a wide chain (Morse silent type chain) on the narrow sprockets. Roller chain, of course, either fits or not

If you can't find anything, suspect mismatched cam drive components. Are you running a windage tray? What's the chance that the crank is rubbing something, the windage tray, the oil pickup? Things DO get bent sometimes.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE it's in the front of the engine? How about the flywheel/converter/ bell cover?

Last, you DO HAVE a chain cam drive and not a gear drive?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Also, if you have (a wrong) too thick front seal, or not seated all the way, the seal might be contacting the lower cam sprocket.

A tidbit: Did you know that on many V8's that when you install the cam drive, "on the marks" this does NOT set up no 1 ready to fire, but rather no. 6. This can be very unsettling on Mopar B engines, where you can install the cam drive, and right away put the distributor in also, only to have it puke up through the carb. I used to pride myself on being able to static time a new build, and fire it right up without putridity going on