General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Another Cam question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Another Cam question.

It seems that people for some reason don't like to talk or reccomend cams to people. However, I feel I'v ehaused my available sources and so far, come up with almost nothing.

I'v got my built in 89' 318 torn to pieces, It lives between the fenders of my 90" 4X4 RamCharger, well it was there a week ago before I pulled her for the rebuild. It has the hydrolic roller lifters and the cam appears to have some wear. I think it would be nice to find a kit with the cam and hydrolic roller lifters together.

My problem... as so many others is finding a cam for it. I'v searched on Edelbrock, Comp Cams, Crane Cams, and Lunati. So far, I'v come short of knowing what to order, let alone finding it. Something close to stock, with a little more low end hp is all that I'm looking for. I plan to keep the engin primarly stock. Perhaps dual exhaust in the future.

If anyone has a similar setup (TBI, nearly all stock, with the hydrolic roller lifters) in their 318, I'd love to hear what you use for a cam, or anyone else who may know what would work for this.

By the Way, what are the factory cam specs? Or How do I find the lift and duration, and "whatnot".

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you want low end torque and not too wild a cam, i'd look at edelbrock
Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Hi, Silver! Asking for cam help? Wow! One of the most loaded questions there is in hot rodding! Okay, you have a 90 Ramcharger, 318. What do you want it to be? Hot rod or a puller? You say low-end in your post. Then look for a towing/rv cam. Have you talked to a tech guy from one of the cam co's yet? Give em your info, and what you want to do, and they can help you. We alll want the biggest cam, but thast is usually a mistake. I have over cammed a car once, and it is a miseable POS to drive. when in doubt, go with the smaller cam! Hope you learned something, if not, get the bigger cam and send me an email saying "You were right!" Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Talk to Mike at MRL Performance http://mrlperformance.com/ He will steer you in the right direction. Great guy and always willing to give out free advice.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scotts74birds
Hi, Silver! Asking for cam help? Wow! One of the most loaded questions there is in hot rodding! Okay, you have a 90 Ramcharger, 318. What do you want it to be? Hot rod or a puller? You say low-end in your post. Then look for a towing/rv cam. Have you talked to a tech guy from one of the cam co's yet? Give em your info, and what you want to do, and they can help you. We alll want the biggest cam, but thast is usually a mistake. I have over cammed a car once, and it is a miseable POS to drive. when in doubt, go with the smaller cam! Hope you learned something, if not, get the bigger cam and send me an email saying "You were right!" Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Great answer!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 PM

I'v done some more looking, thinking of going with an RV cam, due to the difference in price can I switch to the hydraulic flat tappet lifters and cam? This would be much cheaper for me. Any imput on what I lose or gain by going to the tappet lifter and cam?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Mopar Lover

you lose a little performance, very very little though

also, roller cams have different characteristics because they are shaped differently
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
If I understand you right, you want to go from a roller cam to a hydraulic flat tappet? Is that possible in that engine? In addition to the decreased friction of a roller, you are also able to use a more aggressive ramp profile on the cam. Not meaning bigger but I mean a faster opening for the valve. There are also issues with cam break-in and the zinc loss in oils today. They dont apply to roller cams. Just think you should be aware of all the issues. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:27 AM

Unhappy

I am really torn between the two options i have here...

Option A. I get the timeing gears, and chain, new springs, the cam, new lifters, and a handfull of gaskets (which I may not use due to buying another gasket set with pistons included.) for about $270 on Ebay.

Option B. I buy this cam Comp Cams 20-622-9 (rougly $300), these springs comp 901-16 (roughly $70), and look for timeing gears and chain. and be looking at around $400 and be reuseing my old lifters. Or replace them for another few hundred gulp.

I believe both cams are quite similar in lift, both should be just a little more lower end minded than what I have without causing a need for any work elsewhere.

I'm looking at a difference of $130+, I do realize and fully believe that is not much if it makes a difference to the life, and preformance of my engin, especialy considering the time involved with correcting a mistake.

However, This is my daily driver, not a drag racer. In any event I need a cam because my old one is experiancing metal fatigue. I hope to see this motor capable of a healthy 100,000 miles once I get her rebuilt.

So... which route is better? (BTW my hydraulic roller lifters show minor signs of wear, and though I have not checked the rollers for wear, they feel very solid.)

Thanks guys
Old 09-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Mopar Lover

i wouldnt reuse lifters

they will have to break in again to a new cam
i wouldnt chance it
you might need new push rods
Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Mopar Lover

have you checked with a mopar performance dealer for an application for your truck. they have really gotten into performance options for the newer v-8`s the last few years. they would surly have something in the bins to help you out .