Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

latest brick wall

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
latest brick wall

my build has stopped yet again . this time it's my oil rings .
you may already know i re-sleeved my block ( all 8 cyl ) back to std bore ( 4.250 ) i have new but old aria's forged dome top pistons ( 1972 manufacture ) these pistons have the .006" piston to bore clearance in the piston . so back in the day you could fit the pistons to your new 383 without machining .
i bought 4.250 std bore hasting molly rings ( 383 mopar / 427-454 chev )
the ring gap turned out perfect @ .018" but the oil rings wouldn't go in . we wreaked the first set of rings . so i got std bore speed pro rings same thing .018" compression ring gap . but the oil rings wouldn't go .
so my mate got on to the net & found out std rings have .005"+ oil rings & thats to big for our virgin bore .
so we think we've found the problem ??? not sure .
apparently i can get cast rings with .000 ( std ) oil rings so i might have to use the oil rings from a cast set with the molly compression rings i already have . fingers crossed but now my mate building the engine doesn't want to buy anything till the bores are measured by a third party now . now its getting the block to & from thats a mission . it's raining the crank is in , cam is in , timing all set . aaarrrrrrgh what a faaaaarrrrk around . I'm still off work & broke .

btw i put some old video footage of my ute in the members rides section . it's at the track .

Last edited by deadkelly; 03-28-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shitty deal Ollie, hopefully the new rings will solve the problem M8.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Mopar Lover

That sucks dude. I hope you get it worked out. I hate it when something so seemingly simple turns in to a never ending nightmare.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Mopar Lover

tell me about it . it was meant to be a re ring & bearings , cam change with new timing chain , cheap build i was planning . then found out needed re sleeving , lost job , injured hand . finger is hooked looks like i won't get clearance for work & maybe another operation off work for longer . but i'm still alive so live is good .
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by deadkelly
tell me about it . it was meant to be a re ring & bearings , cam change with new timing chain , cheap build i was planning . then found out needed re sleeving , lost job , injured hand . finger is hooked looks like i won't get clearance for work & maybe another operation off work for longer . but i'm still alive so live is good .
Jesus Ollie, whatcha been doing M8 ? Stuck your finger in the wrong hole buddy ?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Polaradude
Jesus Ollie, whatcha been doing M8 ? Stuck your finger in the wrong hole buddy ?
thats not what caused it lol i stuck more than my finger in there hahaha .
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Hey man, where there is life, there is hope. So since you are still alive, I am sure you will get back to work soon and get the engine together even sooner. Never give up! Give these troubles the finger and keep moving forward!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Mopar Lover

thats not what caused it lol i stuck more than my finger in there hahaha .
Bahaaahahaha.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by 67gtxclone
Hey man, where there is life, there is hope. So since you are still alive, I am sure you will get back to work soon and get the engine together even sooner. Never give up! Give these troubles the finger and keep moving forward!

for sure mate no probs . a mates coming around tomorrow to measure the bores . so will take it from there .
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Little Demon

good luck man, I hope you get it figured out soon
Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Mopar Lover

f@cking get f#cked ya f#$king c#nt f@rrrrrrrrrrrrrk . i just spent ages typing all the latest , the paint scheme & all i hit back space & it all got f#cking wiped FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK C#NT

Last edited by deadkelly; 03-31-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Mopar Lover

well all is good
bores are fine & got pistons in . I'm going to bed f#cking peace of sh$t .
Old 03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Mopar Lover

well all is good
bores are fine & got pistons in . I'm going to bed f#cking peace of sh$t .
Bahahahahaha, nighty night Muffin
Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Damn! I wish I had been there to hear the full rant! Sounds like it was a good one!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Mopar Lover

hahaha it sure was good morning all
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw a group of guys in a dougnut shop early the other saturday.
I guessing all in their 80s.
6 or 7 AM waiting for my order. Another one comes in, they all ask him how he is doing.

Simple answer: i woke up this morning, I am good.
That says it all.

Sometimes cars DO talk back...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Talking what i was trying to say last night

all is good . the bores are spot on & the rings should be fine . it's just a wee bit more fiddly because of the valve reliefs i ground into the tops of the bores . my mate who's building my engine wasted a bit of time today checking part numbers on rings , but it seems the ones i have are the ones we need . so we only got 4 pistons in today but they all seem fine so tomorrows another day . grant can you get some paint codes for those sublime / limelight green colors . I'm not sure what is what , I'm thinking the brighter ones though to stand out in my black engine bay . i like the color of rocknrollfenders chally . it's gonna be a black whatever bright green & cleared alloy color scheme with a dash of msd red . sump black just so not to draw to much visual attention from the v8 hating cops & transport ******* . although i think it will be the sound thats more of a concern to them though .
Old 04-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Mopar Lover

all is good . the bores are spot on & the rings should be fine . it's just a wee bit more fiddly because of the valve reliefs i ground into the tops of the bores . my mate who's building my engine wasted a bit of time today checking part numbers on rings , but it seems the ones i have are the ones we need . so we only got 4 pistons in today but they all seem fine so tomorrows another day . grant can you get some paint codes for those sublime / limelight green colors . I'm not sure what is what , I'm thinking the brighter ones though to stand out in my black engine bay . i like the color of rocknrollfenders chally . it's gonna be a black whatever bright green & cleared alloy color scheme with a dash of msd red . sump black just so not to draw to much visual attention from the v8 hating cops & transport ******* . although i think it will be the sound thats more of a concern to them though .
Do you want DuPont #'s or does it matter ?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Mopar Lover

DuPont is quite common but what ever mate , is there a web site that has a color graph or color card ??? so i can get a idea . thanks grantios
Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all you need! either click print and take this tp your paint supplier or just give them this number. It is that easy.

Last edited by Crazy4Carz.Com; 04-01-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Mopar Lover

That's pretty much the chart you were gonna get from me, atta boy Steve.
If you need the Dupont's let us know Ollie
Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Mopar Lover

thanks Steve & grant
all pistons are in , crank & rods are all torqued up & rear seal in . cam is degreed in . cleaned sump today it was caked in silly-cone what a mission it is getting that off . whats a good method for removing silicon residue ? I'm going shooting for next 2 days , so back into it Monday .
Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Mopar Lover

thanks Steve & grant
all pistons are in , crank & rods are all torqued up & rear seal in . cam is degreed in . cleaned sump today it was caked in silly-cone what a mission it is getting that off . whats a good method for removing silicon residue ? I'm going shooting for next 2 days , so back into it Monday .
i hate to say it but razor blades work good, time consuming but they work.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Mopar Lover

i hate to say it but razor blades work good, time consuming but they work.
thats what i used razor blades , wire brush & finger nails . but it's still got that slimy feel . i was gonna try petrol then prep wash / wax & grease remover .
Old 04-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Mopar Lover

thats what i used razor blades , wire brush & finger nails . but it's still got that slimy feel . i was gonna try petrol then prep wash / wax & grease remover .
Ya you can try that, it's gets really sticky then. Do you have a product called brakeclean ? Nasty stuff but works on a lot of that crap.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Mopar Lover

Ya you can try that, it's gets really sticky then. Do you have a product called brakeclean ? Nasty stuff but works on a lot of that crap.
what like brake cleaner in a spray can ? maybe not that brand but yeah .
now I'll be using a windage tray with 2 paper gaskets , any tricks of the trade to make these things seal up ? . the gear box shop dude " fixed " the leaky sump last time with like a tube or 2 of silicon on every face of gasket , sump , windage tray , gasket , block . & it still leaked ? . should i rough up the sump & windage tray with sand paper ?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Mopar Lover

Ya the stuff in the spray can.
Did you check the bottom of your block for flatness around the mounting flange. There might be a wobble there bubby.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Talking

the wobbles in your **** flow , great whoppers of things .
there is a bit of a wobble is the pan front & rear , i showed my mate today he thinks we'll far kit more trying to straighten it out . + he thinks it will pull sorta straight when we do it up . he's the man or best i got on hand anyway .
Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Mopar Lover

the wobbles in your **** flow , great whoppers of things .
there is a bit of a wobble is the pan front & rear , i showed my mate today he thinks we'll far kit more trying to straighten it out . + he thinks it will pull sorta straight when we do it up . he's the man or best i got on hand anyway .
Awesome.. Let us know Ollie. Hey, don't forget the wall of death pic on the weekend..hee hee
Be still cat.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Mopar Lover

how could i forget it'll only be a hare or 20 with maybe a fox thrown in for good measure .

Quick Reply: latest brick wall