Thinking of buying a 73 challenger

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a 73 challenger

New to this forum and have a chance of buying a 73 challenger. What are some of the things to look for other than rust. Car is a 340 rallye.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mjmsc5
New to this forum and have a chance of buying a 73 challenger. What are some of the things to look for other than rust. Car is a 340 rallye.
Well first off if your paying a 340 rallye car price for it then you should most definately make sure that it is actually a rallye car and if it is supposed to still have the 340 in it, make sure its actually a 340, not a 318 or 360. If its supposed to be matching numbers then make sure it is. Most often each one of these things will make the price and value of the car increase, so if your paying for all of these things then you want to make sure the guy isn't selling you a 318 car cloned to be a rallye car. Other than rust, just look at the over all condition of the car. You might make sure its got correct '73 seats, also make it has a rallye gauge cluster in it. Biggest thing if your paying more than 10 or 12k. Then most definately decode the car and make sure your getting everything your paying for. If your paying less than that for it, any '73 challenger fixed up nice enough can bring that, but I always make sure people arent lying to me, and its always fun to decode 'em anyways. I know you said what to look for other than rust.. but this is very important make sure the frame rails arent rusted out, especially if this is supposed to be a driver car. If its a driver then make sure your brake lines don't have any holes in them, make sure the front end is good and tight (if you've never driven one and the one your looking at has power steering, don't think its broken if it steers way too easily, I wondered if mine was when I got it. But its just the way they are its really nice after you get used to it.) Make sure all your gauges work and what not... really everything else you should look at just like you would when you were gonna buy anything else.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. It is number matching and has been totally restored. Although it is an older restoration, it hasn't been driven except to shows. Big question is what is it worth. I am usually looking at corvettes and can price them pretty good and this is my first dealings with mopar products. Looking at prices they go all over the place.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Mopar Fan

Smile Condition, condiion and condition :o)

The 73 is a great car handles very well with the small block and the seats are better than earler Challengers. The rally dash is a plus and the car is easy to work on. Originality is the thing I would look for unless your going resto mod. how much bondo behind rear wheels, back corners of rear window? trunk rust? does it need any repacement items, good news almost everything is now available for these cars. Wont bring 1970 model dollars, will bring a lot of bang for the buck prices are still good on these cars. Great time to pick one up! best wishes!CD
Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know this post is a bit old but I'll give you a round about. If it is perfect in every way and beautiful and done right it should be worth 14k to 20k for it to bring 20k it would have to be absolutely perfect. And have all the good options that are still functioning. But I have seen some freak happenings on ebay where cars have brought around 20k and havent been all that great (it all depends on whos looking). For a nice driver 8k to 14k. Also 1970 and 1971 challengers are a whole different world from the 72-74 models. The 70 and 71's are a lot more sought after so they will bring a whole lot more. Anywhere between 15k and 50k or 60k or more depending on options and whos wanting it. lol hope this helps. When it comes down to it, its all options that make these cars worth more. you can have a beautiful 70 r/t clone and a decent real 70 r/t challenger setting next to each other and the real r/t will bring a ton more everytime (provided the clone car was exactly the same as the decent r/t just nicer)

Also something else that may give you an idea I have been offered 9k for my chally once and 10k another time, and it is a long ways away from being perfect (lots of paint chipping rust starting to bubble under the vinyl top and rust in some other places) It really needs to stripped down and repainted. But it is a pretty car to look at regardless of its flaws. It is a 73 as well, 318 and its not a rallye car. Just depends on whos wanting it. I turned down the offers cause I love it too much to sell it.

Did you buy the car? If so give us some pics

Last edited by rcknrolfender79; 02-24-2011 at 03:48 PM.