Thinking of buying this 72' Dart, Have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of buying this 72' Dart, Have questions.

Hi,

I'm new to mopar, have been diehard into jeeps for a while and am wanting to get into this instead lately.

So, i'm thinking about buying this dart thats for sale around here. It's got a 440 magnum, 727 trans with shift kit and B&M. Bunch of other stuff.

So, for the most part I know what i'm looking at but still had a few questions.

heres the car: he wants $8000 for it.

Now, this sounds like a stupid question, bash me, i'm new- so here goes:
on this picture,

Why is the bell housing and flywheel showing? Isnt it suppose to be fully covered/connected? I havnt seen it in person yet, it's a bit of a drive...
Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's missing the inspection cover for the transmission. i'd give it the eagle eye in there, especially if its been driven like that.

if it is as good as it looks in the pics, 8000 is a good price
Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 AM

Yeah! I feel less stupid!

Will do. So ya, thats a decent price? The seller is kind of, um... curt and I was having issues getting extra pictures (hes about 3 hours away). He said he's put about 10,000 on it in the last 3 or so years... But luckily, I am familiar with my 727's.

So what kind of inspection plate is needed? Or who sells it?

Thanks for the answer btw!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

the inspection cover is what is missing on the transmission
http://www.bradsnosmopar.com/nosmop727tra.html

as far as price, if the car done all half-assed - 8 is a good price.

the ac lines going through the firewall next to the master cylinder is kind of odd. the missing inspection cover too, if it was for the picture thats one thing but...

if he is acting hinky with the pictures, i'd be real careful
Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the car looks nice from the pics but if he is wierd on getting more pics is he hiding something you need to go see it in person before committing to anything because you can paint a turd gold but its still a turd
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 AM

ahha. That would look like what should go there.

Ya, i had called him asking for a picture of the underside... he made it out like it was this big deal and how he could sell it without that... Then the next day he sent me like 20 pictures of the underside with the car on a lift, then i call him- this was saturday and he refused my offer to pay the ebay downpayment then get full payment to him within 14 days if i can drive it before bidding/buy it now- Ill have my funds in 8 days now- his cars on ebay, that would be well within the ebay timeframe with especially me waiting out closer to the end of the auction, but i still wanna see it first then transact through ebay. I already have the , Just the total of funds is taking a little while to move through the system to my regular account- I was trying to over estimate my time. Wasnt planning on seriously shopping untill later, just really liked this one.

Anyway... I assume he's dealing this way with everyone and thus he has refused 10 offers and hasnt sold it yet. I figured Id wait untill he had a day left on the auction and see about going out there that day, after he realized the car wasnt made of gold.

I know it would most likely need some stuff, just if i get there and its not rusted, it drives like it should, shifts and stops id be happy. I was looking for a driver i could improove.

So... after that tangent.... Ya, I just really couldnt tell if he was hiding something or if he was just kind of a loon. In my classic car photography and past buying, I would say 8 of of 10 classic car owners are kinda off

Heres the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6201 if you can tell me any more i wouldnt have noticed.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Mopar Fanatic

That is a nice looking car. And if it's all on the up and up, probably worth the money. If the guy seems a little put off or odd about the the sale my guess is he just really does not want to sell it and feels he does not need to go to far out of his way.

On the other hand, I would Never spend that kind of money without driving the car, never.

Good luck, I hope you get it and it's a great car.

Joe.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Why do you want to do the transaction through e-bay? Why not tell him you want to see and drive it before hand, if you like it then you'll have in hand.

it looks to be tubed in the rear so hopefully he has an 8 3/4 or D60 in the back there. Plus the underside looks clean. I would just take a look at the quarter panels and trunk for any bubbling, rust, rot also under the dash to see how and why the hoses are all run on the driver's side like that. Other than that, it looks good for $8,000.

It looks good in the pictures but then again, a lot of things look better in pictures than they do in person.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

no heat/defrost, heater core and blower motor are gone.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deff see it in person first pictures LIE BIG TIME
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Linz -

The trany inspection cover isn't necessary and with some engine/trany/torque converter combos just won't fit without a lot of mods. I drove / raced mine that way 30 years and still do. (Yes, I have the cover and no, it still won't fit without rubbing.)

The heater thing is only an issue if you plan on it being a daily driver and live in a cold climate. Mine also came out 30 years ago.

Basically, I'd need to see how the engine was running, the trany shifted, how the car drove and how it handled traffic. Knowing what was done with/to the motor would be pretty important too.) If the car checks out, at least in my neck of the woods, it might be a bargain.

Archer

Last edited by Archer; 06-02-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it is just missing the inspection cover
check over the entire car before you buy it
Old 06-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
I wonder if he has one of those universal heater core/fans mounted up under the dash?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Thats what I was thinking Tim
Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM

if it runs good and ain't hacked to death that's a good deal in my neck of the woods, missing inspection cover, and all. The lines you see going thru the firewall are for the aftermarket AC someone installed. Big block A-body with air, aluminum radiator and nice looking coat of paint. If in the market for such and at the price range I'd say its a "buy".