Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission issues after shift kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
transmission issues after shift kit installed

A couple weeks ago I took my car to a reputable transmission shop in the town I live to have a shift kit put in. The weather has been cold and snowy/rainy for the past couple weeks so the car has just sat in the garage.

My dad and I get the car out this afternoon for a little drive and it shift great as long as I don't get on it. I was doing about 50MPH and I mashed the gas. The car revved to about 4500RPMS and then slammed into gear! I thought maybe it was a fluke so I went a little ways down the road and tried it again...I got the same result. I immediately took the car home, we checked the fluid and it was about half a quart low and the front seal of the transmission gasket looked overly saturated.

Would being a pint low cause the transmission to slip? I know nothing about automatic transmissions, what could the causes be? Could they have messed up installing the shift kit? Any advice would be appreciated!

I plan on calling them first thing in the morning,
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
scott -

Low fluid can cause a slip, but it can also be a band adjustment issue. Call them, but the first thing they will tell you is to add fluid and check the level in neutral when hot.

Archer
Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks for the feedback, I know one thing, thats an answer I won't settle for, it didn't leak fluid before I had the shift kit installed, and there is not reason for it to do so now, so hopefully they stand by their work and get the issue resolved!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Mopar Lover

scott -

I was referring to the slippage, not the leak. That should be their responsibility. Just curious, have they worked on Mopar trannys before? A general tranny shop might be out of their element.

Archer
Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Mopar Fan

The manager told me he was familiar with the 727 transmission and he even knew my car was push button when I told him what I drove, I will just call the shop in the morning and go from there. Hopefully he can get my car in Monday or Tuesday, and can get the issue resolved!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Mopar Fan

So I took the car into the shop this morning and the manager told me that its an issue with the detent rod, and that after I put my new carburetor on next week bring it down to him and he will adjust it.

I dont understand that much about transmissions but he said the new springs are firmer, and the car was actually shifting down into 1st gear not 2nd when I mashed the gas. Does this make sense? and can anyone put it into lamens terms?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Mopar Lover

scott -

When you "mash" the pedal with an auto tranny, two things happen, you open the carb throttles, and a second connection down shifts the tranny, to make you accelerate faster. The kick down linkage from the carb connects to a lever on the tranny and he might be referring to that as the leaking point. Guess he figures he's going to have to adjust the kick down with the new carb anyway, so might as well wait until the new carb is in place. He might have a point, as he'll have to do the same job twice, if he did it now.

So you have a couple of problems: the leak has to be fixed, the kick down linkage has to be adjusted and possibly the "springs" (or band tension) adjusted.

Archer