05 Dakota P0344 4.7 magnum

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Dakota P0344 4.7 magnum

P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermitten

i bought this truck 3 weeks ago, it had 3 codes, two are 02 sensors and 3rd was the Po344. I changed the cam shaft position sensor and it did nothing but at that time was not acting up. For the past week it was taking longer and longer to actually fire. Maybe 3 to 6 seconds of turning over prior to starting. Would only do that first thing in the morning, so today I went out to get something in the morning and went to give it gas and it won’t go above 2500 rpms. Once it hits 2500 rpms it’s like it hits the rev limiter. If I stay under 2500 rpm it runs fine and shifts fine but soon as I hit 2500 it stops working. I changed the cam shaft sensor again, with no change. I ran a new wire to a ground, and ran the other two wires to the other two sensors and no change. So it’s not the 3 wires. Maybe the connector itself ? Not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Still the same three codes P0344 and 2-02 sensors

Last edited by Bberry; 03-04-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Put engine size
Old 03-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
If the CPS is good, and the voltage reference is good all the way back to the PCM. Then its a faulty PCM or the connection at the PCM are faulty...
If it's the PCM, you might get that fixed under a TSB that was out some time back. 18-015-09 REF. But you might have to have the P0430 cade to go with it.

Check the connections at the PMC if the wiring and the CPS is producing a signal output and the 5volt ref. is good... Just my 2 cents
Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerHog
If the CPS is good, and the voltage reference is good all the way back to the PCM. Then its a faulty PCM or the connection at the PCM are faulty...
If it's the PCM, you might get that fixed under a TSB that was out some time back. 18-015-09 REF. But you might have to have the P0430 cade to go with it.

Check the connections at the PMC if the wiring and the CPS is producing a signal output and the 5volt ref. is good... Just my 2 cents

I took it to the dealer for diagnostics, up to $112 to diagnose the problem, then I will decide from what needs done how to approcach. Hoping it’s easy and not crazy expensive. I really like the truck and love the power I’m the mid size truck but the second week of ownership has been pretty crappy. Thanks for the response and I will update when I hear what they have to say.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Hope they find something not too bad with the truck.. But now days you just have to have a scan tool to look and see whats going on.
A little short story: (This is not one that I worked on, But had a conversation afterwards) 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with an inline 6 and with about 125,000 mile and this is the 3rd owner of this unit.... Complaint was Prelonged crank before starting, Runs Rough, Dies at times, Guy takes it ti Autozone, pulls the codes, Findings for the code was a CamShaft sensor, So gets a Camshaft sensor and puts it in the unit, clears all the codes, and then after a few miles guess what pops back up.... Yep, Check engine light is back on with the same code. So, the gentleman get the suggestion to put a set of spark plugs in the unit, this he dose, and installed with a set of Champion plugs. With not gaining any headway. Off to the dealer the unit goes... Now, without all the other detail..lol I'll get to the conclusion.
So at the end of it all. Whines up With having 4.0Hours of Diagnostic time and 2 Ignition Coils installed. Along with the unit was 3 Qt's low on engine oil. And the suggestion was made to install A/C Delco spark plugs.
The owner declined the Spark plugs. Bottom line was 4.5 hours, 2- coil's, 3qt's of engine oil. Cost out the door was $1,322.00 and it runs like a top he said.

Only reason I think I brought this up, was the point that Scan tools and Diagnostic equipment are what is needed to fix cars and trucks now days.. You just have to be able to read what is going on inside the cars and trucks computers any more. That or your just throwing parts at it and seeing what sticks. And that can run into bigger bucks...

Hope all turns out well, and you find your money well spent, and you get to enjoy the truck... Keep us posted....