D200 help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
D200 help needed please

For starters its a 1978 D200 with a 318 2 barrel, Torqueflite 727, and FFD60 rear axle. The motor is a reman longblock (only 5,000 miles on it but the paperwork says it was installed back in 01) with eveything new (including radiator and alt. Its manual steering BTW) minus the dizzy and carb. The PO mentioned that the motor got an RV cam in it during the reman process (think thats true? it doesn't feel it when I drive it). Someone installed dual exhaust that runs down the outside of the frame rails, other than that it is all stock. I'm going to be using this truck as a daily driver and tow rig for my 74 J10. I wanted to upgrade a few items on it and make ita a little more reliable, but wasn't exactly sure what to get.

First off, I went through the whole truck and replaced a few items that it needed, nothing major. I then started looking around for performance upgrades and that where I got a little lost. I am thinking about getting an "orange box", MSD coil w/ballast resistor, and a new cap,rotor, 8MM wires and plugs. Next up is a Weiand Action+Plus intake, Hollay 4160 carb, Holley fuel pump, March performance pulleys, TCI Pro Super rebuild kit w/shift kit (I have a friend that is going to be rebuilding the tranny for me), TCI deep aluminum tranny pan, external cooler mounted infront of the radiator and converting the exhuast back to having a Y-pipe and a 3 way cat and flowmaster muffler. I would like to have some more back pressure for low end power, thats the reason for the switch back to a Y-pipe. I am planning on leaving the exhaust manifolds since they are in great shape and will be better for towing than a set of long tube headers. I am not looking into pulling the motor out to do anything internal, AKA cam, I would just like to "bolt on" some things to give it some extra "get up and go" yet have it be reliable.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else that I should be looking into or that I have left out? Also what is the operating the RPM range of a 318? I've built up a few motors before (AMC 360, Chrsyler 383 BB) but this is the first motor that I'm "building" that I will need to use everyday.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Your premise that converting back to single exhaust will be of help is completely flawed--there is no such thing as "backpressure" in a 4 stroke engine being of help. The only time that more backpressure "seems" to help a vehicle is in the case that opening up the exhaust sometimes causes the engine to run somewhat lean, and so what SHOULD be done is recalibrating the carb

The only downside to headers is their longivity and ruggedness on something like a truck. I say keep the manifolds for reliability, and keep the dual exhaust

What are the March pulleys supposed to do for you? If these are a high rpm drag/ race item, leave them off our list

Frankly, I think an aluminum pan on a veh. of that nature is a waste of your money.

"Back in the day" a friend of mine had a 73-4 360, which ended up in my Landcruiser for a time, with the factory 360 cam. That was a very strong runner, and I wouldn't have changed the cam for the world. The point is, an RV cam may have gained you something, and maybe not. Its possible that the factory cam may be better, with/without a little "degreeing"
Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Admin

well converting the duel exhaust back to a single did hurt the "get up and go" of the vehicle while cruising but it does not stumble (as much) during take offs.

As for everything else, its going to be put on hold for about a week or two. a friend of mine has something that I could be interested in swapping in, just have to figure out some details.

I'll keep ya'll posted on it though.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Admin

well the deal fell through. there was a local guy selling a 440/ombo out of a d-series truck that i was going to buy and sway in but turned out he sold it. oh well, the 318 will give me better gas milage anyways.