Engine / tranny info.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine / tranny info.

Howdy Mopar folks. I'm leaning toward a Mopar when I sell my car. What I want, I know I can't afford ( how many million? ). What I'd like, I doubt I can afford either. So what I'm thinking is buy something with no motor / tranny & put one in. Here's kinda what I'm thinking. I'd like to find a Duster / Demon, Aspen / Volare, Dart / Valiant type body style & put a 360 w/ overdrive in it. I had a '94 Ram 1500 I bought new off the lot like that & was pleased with it. I want to go carbed & don't know what all I'd be looking at. I know they made this body style with the small blocks, so I'm sure the engine would fit fine. What I don't know about is what about the tranny. Is it like the FORD E4OD where I would have to have a computer to tell it when to shift ( lock up converter? ), etc. To be clear, I don't have anything yet, I'm just looking for ideas & advice. I figure if it's a Mopar question, this is the place to ask it. Not that good at all this, looking for something simple / cheap. One reason I want to go carb instead of fuel injected. Please be gentle, I'm a FORD fan experimenting with the dark side & possibly on my way to being converted ( or at least part way ).
Old 12-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
nice to hear you wanting a mopar! What are your plans? Is this going to be a daily driver,cruiser? I would first check your state's vehicle equipment/emission laws to see what is allowed.I think a pre 1985 car would be the way to go with a 904 tranny (no computer)!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Van
nice to hear you wanting a mopar! What are your plans? Is this going to be a daily driver,cruiser? I would first check your state's vehicle equipment/emission laws to see what is allowed.I think a pre 1985 car would be the way to go with a 904 tranny (no computer)!
Basically a daily driver. just want something to happen when I push on the skinny pedal. Isn't the 904 a plain ( no OD ) tflite? Was hoping to put an overdrive tranny behind it. Can't push a clutch ( long story ), so I've gotta have the auto. That's where I'm wondering, are they computer controlled or do they make a non-computer overdrive tranny? I've got an F-150 & have been reading a lot on their site. I know from that, that it's possible to get a separate OD unit or for the FORD E4OD, a separate controller for the tranny. Either way, BIG $$$$. My funds are limited ( isn't everybody's? ), that's kinda why I'm thinking of buying the body only & then buying a motor / tranny to drop in. That's why I said 360, I'm sure that body style came from the factory with a small block in, not all of them were slant 6s. This way, there's no big hassle with custom motor mounts, custom this, custom that. Basically just a plug & play setup. Doubt if I'd ever have the funds to buy something with a big block. What I want is a 4Bbl. & duals. Not trying to build a race car, just something to have a little fun with & a little more than the factory built it with. I'm thinking something from mid '60s to mid '70s. A 360 is basically the same as the other small blocks, right? I meant as far as external parts. Example if a 273 was there, you could replace it with a 360 & maybe just change the exhaust, possibly the radiator depending on what angle neck you have for the thermostat. This is what I'm thinking, but not real familiar with Mopar.