Running issues with my engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running issues with my engine

I am having a problem keeping my engine running. I will describe whats going on and then suggest what I think it is.

My car has been sitting for a few months, and I start it every once and awhile, before it sat I put some fuel stabilizer in the full gas tank, and disconnected the positive lead from the battery. There are no problems starting it, after I tap the accelerator it turns over and runs. There is an electric choke so when I tap the accelerator again the choke disengages and it starts to get less gas and stalls, after this happens I have to push down and give a bit of gas to keep the engine running.

So at this point I figure there has to be something wrong, so I buy a couple cans of Seafoam and treat the fuel in the tank and pour some into the carburetor to clean the inside of it (I was also told that I should pour some into the filler tube to treat the fuel bowls, but I don't see one in the carb). I also checked to see if there was moisture in the distributor or in any of the other electrical components.

What I believe to be occurring is the engine is being starved of fuel. The reason I post this is because before it sat the car ran fine with the fuel air mixture settings that its still set at. Could there be an issue with the electric choke? The carb is an Edelbrock 650 cfm (I think 1806)
Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Mopar Lover

I have not let it run more then a few min, but I do have to wait for it to cool down fully before I can start it and have the choke kick in. I can even drive it around in the driveway without any issues, as long as I don't use the accelerator. I will let it warm up longer later and see what happens.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Check the fuel filter and replace and also i would fill it up with some good gas and run about 1200rpm and spray in some carb cleaner as it sounds like it is tarnished over
Old 07-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Mopar Lover

I did look at the fuel filter, but forgot to make a note to grab another, Thanks. I think you may be right about the carb, is that something that can get sprayed into the engine, or should I take the carb off? Whenever I've used it, the item has not been attached the engine.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Today I ran the engine to see what happens when it warms up, and also to check and see if there were any vacuum leaks. I didn't find a leak, but the engine started to overheat, so I added coolant to the overflow. I then opened the radiator cap and could see the top of the fins so I topped that off and ran it again. I shut it off and could hear the coolant in the water jackets bubble, so I figure that the thermostat is bad.

Any other thoughts?

I will be replacing the fuel filter and clean the carb as well.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
does the engine keep losing water /you dont have a cracked block or anything like that do ya' and please dont open the cap when the engine is hot as it can spray hot coolant at you and it does not feel good to get burnt --- yes you can have the engine running when you spray carb cleaner down the carb but as always be carefull when doing so,,, make sure to get the butterflies really clean as it can make the engine run rough when carboned up at idle let us know what happens ok
Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure the idle circuit on the carb is clear. If not, the idle will have to be increased so the car will run, abd when you try to lower it, it will stall.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Mopar Lover

The block should be fine, but I will check it out, I assume there is less coolant from it getting so hot and turning into steam, and some how new coolant isn't going back into the engine. Thanks for the heads up, but a rag over the cap when I opened it, so no burns this time.

Will also check out the circuit, there has been a suspect wire on the outside of the choke that is loose as well, its come off a few times but never really seemed to make any difference.