225 1bbl running issues,

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 225 1bbl running issues,

Hello all, I'm new here and I am in need of some guidance on what to do with my engine. here are the issues.

I have had it running but under load it would die out the car would move but as soon as i gave it some peddle it would die right out, i could rev it up while in park, now it will not stay running I have cleaned the carb replaced the spark plugs cap and rotor. it is not the spark or air as its getting both.

I have leaned out the carb and it would just sputter a few times I maxed it out to give it the most fuel i can and it would sputter, I noticed that if i gave it some throttle it would actually run. what could be the issue? It has new fuel lines and filter the choke works as it should. I am starting to think the carb could just be junk. as its not the original carter is is a Holley.

any suggestions would be great! thank you all.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
do you have a cheap vacuum gauge you can throw on there to get some readings for us.

Carbs are never junk unless something in the casting is defective IMO. Shafts can be rebuilt, circuits cleaned, valves replaced etc.. Often the parts and labor exceed the cost of a replacement but if you can do the ignition side a carb rebuild is piece of cake.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Mopar Fan

I unfortunately do not, I can pick one up, I feel that the carb might be to much for the car its not the oem one, i have the oem one but the lower butterfly valve is damaged as in the 2 screws are busted off, so rebuilding it is a bit trivial due to the lack of the major component. its getting spark for sure I replaced everything besides the distributor shaft. cleaned the points but they looked good along with the condenser, I might replace the coil just due to it seems to look like the Original one as crazy as that seems i have never seen a made in USA one before haha

I will grab a gauge and see what the readings are and post them as soon as i can, thank you very much, I driven it once and it was just great for the short 1 mile i drove it haha its going to make one great cruzer car for sure!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Mopar Fan

perhaps i should say, there is one massive vaccum connector on the side which seems to be going to the bowl or close to it. it is and was not attached to anything I almost want to say its for a break booster line? but the car does not have vaccum assist breaks, I have tried running it open and covering it off it does not seem to matter either way but never know the more information the better, I will snap a picture in the morning of the vacuum lines i believe i have them correct but again i have not found the correct routing for the lines.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Mopar Fan

I had a very Dumb moment, I do not see how a vacuum gauge will read anything considering i cannot keep it running long enough to even get a reading. all i can get is a few moments of stumbling running. the vacuum gauge would not help much, unless you where wanting me to do a compression test.