Trans Cooler, 440/727

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans Cooler, 440/727

Hey all, relative newbie here again with a quick question. I went and looked at another 68 Charger this weekend and I liked it as a project. The seller mentioned it's missing/needed trans cooler. How critical is that, how far can it be driven without one, any ideas? I know you should definitely have one for towing, racing, or if you run a stall converter, what about just every day driving?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
68 -

(Automatic trans)

Kinda depends on what he meant by "trans-cooler".. All stock radiators have built in transmission cooler (that's why there are trany feeds going into it). I'd be a little leary about driving an automatic without that. He might be talking about a auxiliary trany cooler, mounted in front of the radiator. I've used one for decades (sorta), but not sure of exactly how much it helps in every day driving, but it looks "cool" and couldn't hurt.

Archer
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Look at the base of the radiator, if there are two hard line going into it, most likely those are for the transmission. If there are no line, then you should have one installed before you start driving it as it will have no way of cooling down.

Also, you can over cool a transmission. If there is too much cooling, the tranny will not shift right, so I have read.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Mopar Fan

A prior owner put in the new radiator and the lines are just looped under with no cooling. I'll get one put on then, figured as much but had to ask.

Should have her next Sunday, will post picts once I do.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Mopar Fan

Since it's not going through the radiator, is the aux one going to be enough to do the job on it's own or should I just replace the whole radiator with one that does have the proper hookups? Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Admin

You can go either way. If you are going to be keeping it stock (motor and tranny) then I would replace the radiator with the proper unit. If you are building up the motor and tranny (or even just the motor), I would install a small 8x10 unit and mount it infront of the radiator.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Mopar Fan

Hey 68lover,

Don't drive the car without cooling.

If you want it stock looking run the tranny lines to the radiator.

But, most of us want performance and actualy drive our cars.
The auxilary cooler does a better job cooling the tranny fluid.
Yes. The hoses from the tranny are hooked up to the auxilary cooler.
Just make sure you have them in the right orientation.
Make sure you buy some good rubber hose that is designed for higher temp and tranny fluid.
Yes. the auxilary one will do a great job.
Also make sure you mount the auxilary cooler in front of your radiator where air flow from your grill will pass by it too.
Perma cool makes great and cheap coolers that work.

I have never heard of over cooling the fluid..... I'd have to ask my uncle in Michigan if he needs a tranny warmer in the winter to make his Mopar shift right.

Good luck with your project and keep us updated on the progress.

Mopar_71
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Admin

I read that on the FSJ board a while back. I thought it sounded funny too but multiple people were having issues due the the fact that they installed coolers that were too large. I have never had any issues though.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
You are correct on the racing part. We run them in all our cars.. Even the Stocker that may only make a pass or two per day unless you get deep into eliminations and then it would never be as much as driving on the street...

I would recommend an after market one unless you have everything else dead stock.. Then change the radiator and use the stock one... But you need one of some kind for sure!!!!! One note is if you use the aftermarket one it will take an extra quart to one and 1/2 of fluid.... Unless you add the extra fluid you might run into problems... JMO
Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks for all the feedback, I ended up with:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-4120/

Anyone have tips on which line is which IN/OUT? Like I said, the lines are just looped/connected under the rad shroud right now, something a prior owner rigged up.

While I'm messing with it I figured it would be a good time to install an in-line temp sensor and gauge. Most of the gauges run 100 - 250F, I'm assuming that's an ok temp range for the 727s? Have any of you guys put a T in the line and installed a sensor that way? I'm thinking the out line would be best to monitor immediate temp before cooling? Some say the pan is best, I'm not sure about mounting the sensor there. I don't have a welder yet. Ever since the transmission overheated and gave out in my 96 dodge truck I've always said I'd have a temp gauge on any automatic I drive. Any tips/thoughts appreciated.