318 Distributor 90 degrees off??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
IT DOES NOT MATTER Every time you turn the crank ONE turn, the cam will either be at 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock. The TRICK is that it is a little difficult to correctly line the marks up at 12 and 12

The FACT is that when lined up by the book, no 6 is ready to fire, not no 1
Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas Flow now

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
Your having a rough go, lucks gotta change. Those timing marks in the magazine are incorrect or the manufacturers special instructions. Every and all manuals I have show Crank at 12, Cam Sprocket at 6, each point should line up in a straight line with the crank and cam center line.
Timing seems ok, but no road test yet, was burning somewhat lean, I think I have carb adjusted to where it is burning better. Will run but shut off or run rough, I installed a new clear fuel filter and noticed it pumps up to about 3/4 or a little over that and then drains, stays drained for awhile and then pumps into about a tenth of fuel, going to check the one from charcoal container to carb and other line for any venting issues, I plugged the dist vacc line for now. If I plug it in to carb it shuts down. Shouldn't the fuel filter stay full? All posters, Thanks for the help on the other stuff.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
So what was it? Were you 180 degrees off at the sprocket?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Mopar Fan

Towers on Dist

Originally Posted by PK1
So what was it? Were you 180 degrees off at the sprocket?

Just set #1 wire 2 towers from the front dist clip going CC, one tower from front clip going CC and it shoots flames out of the carb and tailpipe, and set it by ear, runs ok by ear for now, revs fine etc, no determination whether it will heat up , but with the thermostat in it shouldn't. By feeling the #1 cylinder with my thumb, rotor points to between 6-7 o'clock on the dist looking from under hood. Put cap on and set it, plugged another vacc line in back of carb too.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Mopar Lover

You guys are NOT payin attention. THE CAM TURNS 1/2 turn for every crank rotation. This means that everytime the crank goes around one, the cam alternates 6 and 12

JUST HOW difficult is it to understand a 2:1 ratio?

It's just that "by the book" 6 and 12 is easier to "straightedge."

THE FACT is that 6 and 12 is NUMBER 6 and NOT number 1 ready to fire.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Mopar Fan

Pinging now and heating up after a 30 mile road trip, worse now after 5 miles. Shuts off when stopping, The slot that the dist fits in allows the rotor to slop about 1/8" either way is this normal? Gap is .008, I can line up the reflector fin to the sensor but u can slop the reluctor wheel back and forth. about 1/8"
\I fully understand the 2:1 ratio, and am fully aware of when I am at TDC on the compression stroke, my amp gauge keeps showing a charge and hopefully that works out, I revved it so high one day that I stretched and spun off that alt. belt.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Mopar Fan

Initial

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
You guys are NOT payin attention. THE CAM TURNS 1/2 turn for every crank rotation. This means that everytime the crank goes around one, the cam alternates 6 and 12

JUST HOW difficult is it to understand a 2:1 ratio?

It's just that "by the book" 6 and 12 is easier to "straightedge."

THE FACT is that 6 and 12 is NUMBER 6 and NOT number 1 ready to fire.
If the piston is up on the compression stroke when setting initial timing and BTDC its my understanding that cam gear and crank gear are at 6 and 12 could be wrong. With that said the timing cover numerical scale is for initial timing and the STAMPED INTO number scale on the dampener is for static timing correct? After I get that all corrected I will set the total timing or the curve for the timing. IF ITS set correctly at BTDC then the rotor should point to #1 and not 6, only points to 6 if its an alternating turn on the crank.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Mopar Lover

So far as the timing scale, nope

The factory cars do NOT have numbers on the dampener. That has been added by someone, perhaps a replacement aftermarket dampener, and I believe many "crate" rebuilders degree the dampener. If the numbers are accurate, the numbers on the timing pointer and the numbers on the balancer amount to the same thing.

That is, if you rotate the engine so that the balancer TDC mark is under 10BTC on the timing tab, then the 10* mark on the dampener should be under TDC on the timing tab

In other words, the two sets of numbers should be telling you the very same thing.

So setting timing is setting timing. IF the marks are accurate, static, initial, mechanical advance, and vacuum advance all are set, checked, and verified using the same numbers.

Fords for example, never used to have a numbered pointer. The legacy 352/392/ 289/302, etc engines all had a timing "needle" pointer, and the dampener was degreed.

The only reason Mopar balancers need to be degreed is that the timing tab is not numbered high enough to be of any real use
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Mopar Fan

Marks are off

The factory cars do NOT have numbers on the dampener. That has been added by someone, perhaps a replacement aftermarket dampener, and I believe many "crate" rebuilders degree the dampener. If the numbers are accurate, the numbers on the timing pointer and the numbers on the balancer amount to the same thing.

That is, if you rotate the engine so that the balancer TDC mark is under 10BTC on the timing tab, then the 10* mark on the dampener should be under TDC on the timing tab

In other words, the two sets of numbers should be telling you the very same thing.

So setting timing is setting timing. IF the marks are accurate, static, initial, mechanical advance, and vacuum advance all are set, checked, and verified using the same numbers.

Fords for example, never used to have a numbered pointer. The legacy 352/392/ 289/302, etc engines all had a timing "needle" pointer, and the dampener was degreed.

The only reason Mopar balancers need to be degreed is that the timing tab is not numbered high enough to be of any real use
I believe that, if I am recalling correctly, because I've been back and forth so many times, that when I did the thumb spurt on the #1 cylinder and stopped the numbers on the dampener where no where near or visible near the timing chain cover number scale, therefore, if the balancer is an after market and the stamped numbers are totally wrong and I should find true #1 cylinder TDC and go from that point on the timing scale say with a new stick on tape type of number scale on the balancer.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Mopar Fan

Book

The reason I stated installing a sticky paper number scale tape on the balancer was that after you get the thumb hole spurt on compression you should move the balancer to zero on the balancer matching the zero on the timing tab then set static timing with the dist. to get the exact timing correct, with no properly marked zero on the balancer I could be doing this forever. I would be happy to get it running correctly without worrying about total timing or a timing curve.

Last edited by jss672011; 05-28-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Mopar Fan

Correction

Now that I remember correctly, when the spurt occurs there is a 15 16 stamped on that area of the balancer, the trick now is to figure out how far to pull the piston back down, because when I did check the timing with a light before I could see the 15/16 near the zero tab. I have the dist vacuum canister hose plugged while doing this, and another 1/4" vacc hose plugged on the back corner of 2bbl carb, this hose points towards the steering wheel. 15 16 degree marks make sense because '77 318 in this truck calls for 16 degrees of initial timing with auto trans and 2bbl carb. It still has some back pressure and heats up after awhile and pings then shuts down, unless the new thermostat a 195 that I put in is not working or bad. I am also running it with no heater core just through the block with coolant, or possibly the flow is not good in the rad. Too many sidebars going on. My charcoal canister has the "PURGE" hose plugged with a bolt, because the current carb I'm using did not have an inlet to the vent bowl for the purge hose. I do have a vacuum amplifier on it that is wide open with no hose. Should I reinstall the vacc canister hose while setting timing or until timing seems set? Would the vacc canister hose being plugged while driving cause it to overheat? Not sure where to set the balancer after I get the spurt. I believe when the spurt hits, the 15 16 stamps are around 10 degrees ATDC O mark on the timing tab. But I can double check. Should I move 16 to the 0 mark on the timing tab?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Mopar Fan

15-16 degrees

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will set it at the 15-16 mark when I can get to it, today not looking too good so far, maybe tomorrow, will post the results.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Mopar Lover

!!!! WAIT A MINUTE !!!

Now you are sayin things that say to me "I have not properly checked the timing marks for accuracy"

Just exactly WHAT did you do to check TDC?