Head questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head questions

I am in the process of removing the drivers side head on my 09 Ram 2500 SXT, my rockers are off. I realized last night that this was a little different setup than my 05 Durango, where you can just unbolt the power steering pump and let it hang to the side. No, the timing case acts as a mount for all the acc. and there is a bushing that reaches out from the cover into the side of the head.

Q. The manuals that I have for this truck don't address this setup. Does the timing cover have to be removed for me to get this head off, or is there enough play that after the head bolts are removed I can pull the head toward the firewall an inch or two and leave the bushing attached to the timing cover?

Q.#2 As I posted in a prevues thread with only a single response: I have been told that soaking the head bolts in oil or adding any product to the threads will throw of the torque specs, I have also been told opposite. It says in the Haynes manual to soak them, but I don't trust that considering it also mentions nothing about the bushing set up I spoke of in Q. #1.

Q.#3 I am in Utah and the average temp has been low 20's in the A.M. with P.M. in the high 30's, yesterday was 42*. I am swapping this head out in my driveway due to the fact that the Truck is to large to fit in my standard 2 car garage. I am not working on it when it snows and am keeping rags stuffed in all the ports when its sits. Will the cold temps. have an effect on the torque applied to each bolt when the engine warms and weather gets hot?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Keefbikes; 12-02-2022 at 12:42 PM.