High School budget 318 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High School budget 318 build

I have a 77 D100 that decided it wanted to become a two stroke and it was just sluggish so I am rebuilding the engine. I would like some input on building the engine, I want a little bit more power out of it and I think I might just get the factory heads polished (I've heard that porting the factory heads ruins bottom end, anyone got any input on the truth of that?) I am on a somewhat tight budget because I'm still in high school but I do have some money saved up. I think I will use a 340 intake that I have laying around instead of buying a new one.
The parts I am considering buying are;
The Hughes Engines RV cam kit and the advanced curve distributor Hughes Engines RV Cam Hughes Engines Fancy Advanced Curve Distributor
Hooker Long Tube headers Hooker Headers 5902 Competition Long Tube Headers 318-360 MOPAR Small Block V8 - JEGS
And this rebuild kit Enginetech RCCR318F Rebuild AMC Chrysler 5.2L 318 – AMS RACING
Anyone have any suggestions for connecting rods?
I'm not very experienced with engine building or parts choosing so I would greatly appreciate any sort of advice/help on finding the right parts for this.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:07 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
My Personal Opinion would be to work with a good known local machine shop / Engine Builder in your area.
Go over the plans with them on you engine build and i am sure you can come up with a well put together long block assembly for your truck that you can budget for.
If not you may wind up with parts you cant use of return.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerHog
My Personal Opinion would be to work with a good known local machine shop / Engine Builder in your area.
Go over the plans with them on you engine build and i am sure you can come up with a well put together long block assembly for your truck that you can budget for.
If not you may wind up with parts you cant use of return.
I take motor sports at my local school districts vocational school so I think I might ask my instructor for his assistance. I also wondered about buying a couple magazines/books that relate to building small block mopars.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:36 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Books are always good knowledge, Very helpful at times.
Its good that you are in a vocational program !!!!
Not sure what that consists of ? But I hope you are learning a lot from it. The learning never ends in the automotive industry. Its always changing every year. But a good education as a foundation is the best thing you can start with !!!! And lean as much hands on as possible while your there...
On a side note, One of the best books that i ask young folks to invest in, as a beginner, is the book " Automotive Encyclopedia" and also anything dealing with ASE Certifications.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Talk to you instructor and a local machine shop for what you want to do as an upgrade and or rebuild. Then you can get a good feel for what its going to cost you to complete your venture...

Now on to questions and answers.... Cheers

Old 04-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
From venture comes disappointment or success. You want to avoid experimenting. Firing the performance parts cannon could lead to disappointment. Years back a speed shop did a performance build on a 318. They listed performance camshaft, heads and pistons used. I copied their success story and WOW!!! it worked. That 318 was a rocket ship. Just like a cooking recipe you need to have a balanced recipe for a good outcome.
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (04-12-2024)