My head hurts....vacuum!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks guys! I joined this forum for the "two cents" and all the great knowledge that is here. As I stated before just getting back into vintage vehicles/ mopar and was kind of hoping to ease my way back in but this one is going to be a challenge for sure! I like challenges. Both feet hitting the water now.

Again thanks!

I'll keep you all posted! In mean time, if there is anything I can help with don't hesitate to send me a msg and let me know..
Old 11-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Update

Here's what we found withe the heads...

First oversize valves as we thought.

Originally we thought the seats looked pretty good, however we found that they had been cut off angle. The valves seated ok and under a vacuum test showed light ok on the gauge, but under compression with weak spring (we also found) the intake valves would certainly hold open long enough to take in some of that exhaust that we found burned on them.

Each seat was the same so I would say that whatever the previous guy used to cut those seats, carbides cutter or stones, he was off angle a bit. Apparently didn't use the guides until after or maybe bent ?? But each one was visibly off buy the eye after a quick stoning with a valve guide that was straight and not bent too!

I'm looking for a good set of roller rockers to put on it that I can adjust too.

Bob, I put your 2 cents in my pocket and am going a little lighter on the cam! I'm looking to see which one to go with now. When I find the one, I'll check back in.

But I'm going to waste some time and gaskets and a little $, because I am going to put it back together just to see what, if any difference it will make with heads that are done right! Learning experience you know. Winter is coming and the car won't be outside so gotta have something to do to get out of the house !
Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
I guess So much for the "fresh" rebuild...
With that getting straightened out... The motor should carry better vacuum anyway....
Give it a run and see if it's livable... Good Call...
The following users liked this post:
Myraman (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 AM
Mopar Fanatic

fresh rebuild

No, its gonna get the rebuild for sure. I just wanna see what each fix does for it as I go. Little crazy and time and money but I think it will help me understand the motor a lot better. Besides my engine guy is booked up with 4 rebuilds right now. We are scheduled for later this winter!

thanks!!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
What this all comes down to is you cannot have a great big AA/F thumper cam, thundering exhaust, and 600 HP and at the same time have mileage, smooth idle and gobs of manifold vacuum
The following 2 users liked this post by 440roadrunner:
Myraman (11-01-2013), RacerHog (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Absolutely! I understand that for sure. As far as mileage goes, could care less. Idle....running would be good but don't mind if rough, and vacuum, if I could get to 14"-16" I'd be happy.

Bottom line is finding a 1969 Charger where the body is straight and not all crazy and not paying crazy money for it is tough. I apparently had to give up the motor issues for the straight decent body. But, When you buy a car where the previous owners I think, tried like crazy to make it a street rod but didn't succeed due to knowledge level and budget, things weren't right from the get go. Trying to figure out what they did and then how to fix it while learning things all over again from a different angle is challenging. I was hoping to be able to drive the car for a bit but it ran sooooo poorly that something had to be done. I thought I had dropped enough in duration for the new cam but guess not.

What is scary the cam I took out was more aggressive than the one in it now! It should have got better?

As I said in previous post, I ultimately know where I am heading with this, fresh rebuild, but I want to see if the heads, now all straightened out, make things better, worse or do absolutely nothing to improve the situation. Then I will go from there. I want to know what every change I make does.

Less cam to match motor or match motor to new cam. It has run so poorly that it's tough to gauge if there is just one issue or several. It seems I fix one issue I then find another... Chasing the tail if you will. Not the kind I enjoy chasing!

Thanks again for thoughts and opinions! I am interested in learning as much as I can. Believe me, your opinions are heard and count!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
hehehehehe
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
What this all comes down to is you cannot have a great big AA/F thumper cam, thundering exhaust, and 600 HP and at the same time have mileage, smooth idle and gobs of manifold vacuum