Why won’t my eldbrock street master 318 fit on my 1972 318?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 12:39 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why won’t my eldbrock street master 318 fit on my 1972 318?

Hello guys I came to the Mopar experts because I am at a loss. I bought a used intake and carb for my 1972 d100 that I am trying to build. But the intake seemed too big. It didn’t touch the bead of gasket sealer on either end when I set it on to see what I had. Also it seems like it wasn’t sitting down all the way even the valve covers wouldn’t fit It came with this 318 from the factory but with a 2 bbl maybe I need different heads?
thanks to every

one
Old 12-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you take the valve covers off? The intake will hit the valve covers if you don't. You have the only head already, so no you don't need to change. If the intake is for small block Mopars, it will fit, unless it was modified by the previous owner.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:07 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Lostviking
Did you take the valve covers off? The intake will hit the valve covers if you don't. You have the only head already, so no you don't need to change. If the intake is for small block Mopars, it will fit, unless it was modified by the previous owner.
thank you for taking the time to answer me. I know it sounds dumb but when I took the old manifold off there were thick gaskets in the front and back. I read they were not needed with an aftermarket intake And the valve cover tops were hitting the intake when I tried to put them back on.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:49 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott93307
thank you for taking the time to answer me. I know it sounds dumb but when I took the old manifold off there were thick gaskets in the front and back. I read they were not needed with an aftermarket intake And the valve cover tops were hitting the intake when I tried to put them back on.
There should still be gaskets at the front and rear of the lifter valley. I've never had a problem with the valve covers though. It may sound stupid, but do you have gaskets on the valve covers?

Old 12-13-2021, 02:06 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Lostviking
There should still be gaskets at the front and rear of the lifter valley. I've never had a problem with the valve covers though. It may sound stupid, but do you have gaskets on the valve covers?
yes brand new ones. They sit down perfectly with the old stock manifold on. I think I may try looking for a cast iron 4 bbl intake. My intake bolts wouldn’t work either they were too long to get in the holes because the intake was in the way. So much for a truck driver trying to get this old truck right. It ran once and will again. Wasn’t long ago I figured out even though it’s a 72 it had the Mopar stock electronic ignition. So I am rewiring that as well

Old 12-14-2021, 09:34 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 880 Likes on 859 Posts
Looks like you got the intake installed?
If the issue is that the valve covers are hitting the intake, I would recommend just a set of thicker valve cover gaskets... (Like Mr. Gaskets) Or you can just double up on the gasket maybe with a slightly longer bolt and washer.
What we sometimes see happen is, The cylinder heads will get rebuilt and the machine shop mills the head. If the intake dose not get milled at the same time, you have some fitment issues. It even get worse when you buy used parts and don't know the history behind them. Then (possible) folks like your self get some of these parts and have fitment issues. I'm not say that's what you got, I'm just broading the spectrum of not over looking some issues that come along...
You done have to use the front and rear seal. You can use (Form-a-Gasket) to make the seal bead. But what you have to watch out for when you do that is not to uncover the cylinder head intake port and cause a vacuum leak.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:01 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Looks like you got the intake installed?
If the issue is that the valve covers are hitting the intake, I would recommend just a set of thicker valve cover gaskets... (Like Mr. Gaskets) Or you can just double up on the gasket maybe with a slightly longer bolt and washer.
What we sometimes see happen is, The cylinder heads will get rebuilt and the machine shop mills the head. If the intake dose not get milled at the same time, you have some fitment issues. It even get worse when you buy used parts and don't know the history behind them. Then (possible) folks like your self get some of these parts and have fitment issues. I'm not say that's what you got, I'm just broading the spectrum of not over looking some issues that come along...
You done have to use the front and rear seal. You can use (Form-a-Gasket) to make the seal bead. But what you have to watch out for when you do that is not to uncover the cylinder head intake port and cause a vacuum leak.
Actually I put the 2 bbl back on. And your right I am done buying used stuff. This truck has been one of the most frustrating things in my 58 years. I am not done with the 4 bbl mission but I am going to try and find a decent new one that comes with bolts and gaskets. Thank you very much. This intake just wouldn’t sit down correctly enough for me.