Help! A833 no reverse!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Help! A833 no reverse!

Ok guys, I just got my 68 R/T 440 4 speed coronet. Been driving for a few days now. I left my gf's house and went to my house before heading to work. Ran in grabbed some stuff ran out and started it up. Put it in reverse and... nothing . Like its another neutral or something. It hasnt been acting up at all. It has felt really strong in all gears. I havent grinded it or anything. I have been babying the car since i've got it, cause the last thing i want to do is tear it up. I probably havent had the gas pedal half way down lol... probably not even close to it. But anyways reverse was just fine leaving my gf's house. Now I know with an automatic when ur getting ready to lose a gear it acts up before its just gone. It will keep slipping out of gear a while before its gone. I have never had a manual tranny lose a gear but i would imagine they would give you some warning signs before just not being there. One thing I did notice about the car was the throw out bearing seemed noisy when you were setting at an idle with it in gear and the clutch pressed down. It's noisy in reverse and 1st.. not sure about second or up never tried it. But I just figured that was normal because all stick shifts I have had are noisy under the same conditions... just not as noisy. I just figured it was cause everything was so much bigger. This is the first a833 i've ever driven. So What gives guys? I'm at a loss. I didnt have time before heading to work to get under it and see if maybe some linkage had come loose. But I will check asap. When moving the shifter around I cant hear any clanking like linkage had come loose. But I dont think that rules the possibility out. Is there anything inside of the transmission that could have come apart? like linkage or something that could cause this? All other gears are fine btw so its not a clutch issue.. Its just reverse. Could the noisy throw out bearing cause reverse to not work by its self? When moving the shifter into reverse now it is really easy... you dont feel it pop into gear like you usually would. It just goes into the reverse position very smooth and easy. plz help.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Call the four speed experts at Brewer's Performance.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Check the linkage first..
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok, after I got home from work and had time to look at it I found that one of the levers on the shifter. The one that pushes and pulls the rod for reverse. Had broke. No big deal. Pulled it out today welded it back together and grinded it down smooth. Looks as good as new now lol. I was just freakin out a bit when it first happened. Ended up getting to work 2 minutes late so I didnt have time to look at it then. But its all good now. Decided to go ahead and get to the leaky rear main seal why I've got it up on the ramps. After that its all gonna be "lipstick and rouge" just makin her look pretty lol. God i'm so excited about this car! Its an absolute blast to drive! And thanks Eric I didnt know about that company. I'm wanting to do a 340 4 speed set up on my challenger. I will probably use them for a lot of the parts whenever I get around to doing that!