Possible Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Transmission Problem

Every now and again, when moving from a stop and letting theclutch pedal out in 1st gear, the car starts to make a loud grinding noise(deeper and less clacking sounding than the noise made if I improperly shiftgears). I feel a vibration in the clutchpedal. The noise and vibration remainwhen I press the clutch pedal back in. At this point, it does not feel like there is any power beingtransmitted to turn the wheels. Thenoise instantly goes away when I shift to neutral and let the clutch pedal out. From this point, I can shift back into 1stgear and everything is fine (until the next time this all happens, usuallyabout once every 4 to 5 weeks).

This situation tends to occur when I am letting the clutchpedal out and barely pressing on the gas pedal, and often when going up aslight incline. Another condition seemsto be when I've started from stop in first gear, am letting up the clutchpedal, then I need to press back down on the clutch (say as I enter a raisedparking lot, and another vehicle starts coming my way), and then after a fewseconds let up on the clutch pedal again (still in first gear). The noise has happened under similarconditions in 2nd gear, though only twice.
The car is a 1959 Plymouth, 318, manual transmission withnon-functioning overdrive. Typically,the car is driven about three times a week, for a several miles each outing.

I'm hoping this is a clutch rather than a transmissionproblem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.