Drag Shocks Front & Rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Drag Shocks Front & Rear

About a month ago I had my alignment done after I replaced some of the suspension components on the front end; ball joints, tie rods, bushings, bearings etc.. Turns out I neglected the archaic front and rear shocks.

Got under there this morning and found out that...
The front shocks are: Drag Racing Shocks by Rough Country. I couldn't really find anything about them online. So, I suspect they are pretty old.

The rear shocks are: Black. Yup, nothing else but a part number and Made in the USA on them. I couldn't find anything online for part number P72682. I suspect they are run of the mill cheapos.

I drive the car 99% on the street but I really like the Semi-Drag Race look to it. Once a year I will take it to the local track. I'd like to lower the 60' times (1.60) and 6.9 et. in the 1/8. and feel that getting more horsepower out of the engine is the wrong way to go. I think that by improving my front/rear shocks I can do this. I'm trying to find the best Drag Shock combo that will allow the front to rise enough to transfer weight to the rear without breaking the bank. The '69 RR is equipped with leaf springs, caltracs, and sub frame connectors. So I think it has a good base, but I believe the current shocks are the weak link.

I read up on Calvert shocks and thought they might be a good fit? I realize QA1 and AFCO offer some real nice expensive shocks that come in double adjustable. I'd like to get some mid-grade shocks that are at least single adjustable. Not really too concerned with getting every last hundredth out of a shock, but would like to improve on what I have.

Wanted to know what some of you have installed and what your experience has been?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
If you are driving mostly on the street I would not run drag shocks.
The following users liked this post:
inri (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORONET
If you are driving mostly on the street I would not run drag shocks.
Purple,

The car is equipped with Drag shocks in the front now. I'm looking to replace them with something a bit better. I could adjust the shocks to ride a bit better on the street and them adjust them for the track.

FWIW the car rides decent with its current shock setup.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Unless you are having a traction problem the drag shocks will not help you. In that case I would just buy a set of dot slicks for that once a year drag time you do. Shocks wont change the ride height unless you get adjustable coil shocks or air shocks.

A car is not very arrow dynamic going down the track with the front end up in the air. I stuck a set of drag shocks all the way around on a street car that I took to the track once or twice a month. I hated it on the street, in curves it really sucked when the front lifted and did not settle quick enough. You could get behind on your steering real fast if not carefull.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORONET
Unless you are having a traction problem the drag shocks will not help you. In that case I would just buy a set of dot slicks for that once a year drag time you do. Shocks wont change the ride height unless you get adjustable coil shocks or air shocks.

A car is not very arrow dynamic going down the track with the front end up in the air. I stuck a set of drag shocks all the way around on a street car that I took to the track once or twice a month. I hated it on the street, in curves it really sucked when the front lifted and did not settle quick enough. You could get behind on your steering real fast if not carefull.

I do carry a set of dot slicks in the trunk! , seriously!

Say for example I was to purchase CE (competition Engineering) Shocks for the front and set them at 70/30 and CE shocks for the rear and set them for 60/40 or a setting that will allow the car to not lift in the front as much on the street. Would this type of setup be closer to a normal street shock setup?

If drag shocks are a no go, what shocks would you suggest be installed?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I always run bilstein shocks.. Cant remember the set up I ran with the drag shocks. Just did not like the way the car acted in curves and general driving, like going on and off a bridge or dip in the road. Steering got real light a few times.