new 66 charger, creaking noise help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 66 charger, creaking noise help?

i bought a 1966 charger a few days ago, and call me stupid for this, but even after i test drove it and noticed creaking, i bought it anyways. im thinking its probably the torsion bars, but i could be wrong. anyone have any experience with creaking in your unibody mopars? if it be a charger or not? any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Be more specific of when it creaks [turning,going over bumps,or all the time] could be torsion bars moving,bad ball joints,suspension bushings [all fixable relativly cheap] or god forbid rotten structure somewhere [which makes it unsafe]. Not trying to scare you just things that popped into my head,did you inspect the undercarrage for rust/corrosion/rotted areas,look in the engine bay around the fire wall where the inner fenders connect,shine a flashlight into the cowl thru the air grills and under the dashboard looking for rust/corrosion. Many folks have been duped by sellers due to not knowing what to look for when buying a classic car/truck if it is covered by paint ect. The sad part is most of the damage can be repaired but it can be costly, some times it's more than the car is worth leaving the buyer a choice of repairing or parting it out either way most times you lose money. I know first hand i have been working on a 73 charger for a year due to the unseen amount of rot we found after we got it to the shop [i expected rust but not the amount i delt with]. I'm sure you'll get some others to chime in with sugesstions that may have been overlooked.
The following users liked this post:
1966charger (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by lou3500
Be more specific of when it creaks [turning,going over bumps,or all the time] could be torsion bars moving,bad ball joints,suspension bushings [all fixable relativly cheap] or god forbid rotten structure somewhere [which makes it unsafe]. Not trying to scare you just things that popped into my head,did you inspect the undercarrage for rust/corrosion/rotted areas,look in the engine bay around the fire wall where the inner fenders connect,shine a flashlight into the cowl thru the air grills and under the dashboard looking for rust/corrosion. Many folks have been duped by sellers due to not knowing what to look for when buying a classic car/truck if it is covered by paint ect. The sad part is most of the damage can be repaired but it can be costly, some times it's more than the car is worth leaving the buyer a choice of repairing or parting it out either way most times you lose money. I know first hand i have been working on a 73 charger for a year due to the unseen amount of rot we found after we got it to the shop [i expected rust but not the amount i delt with]. I'm sure you'll get some others to chime in with sugesstions that may have been overlooked.
the creaking is pretty much all the time. we weren't going very fast, going slow it was pretty much all the time. i have i bunch of old cars, im not really new to this but the 66 chargers were a unibody car, and the only one i've dealt with was my '62 fairlane. also, this is my first mopar. i didn't know if it was a known problem or not, if that makes sense. im not really sure, im going to have a mechanic i know look at it, i was just wondering if anyone had any opinions or ideas. it didn't look too bad underneath, there was a couple goop spots, but nothing like terrible. i think the goop spots were from patching the floor pans though
Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
My guess would be the torsions, ball joints or LCAs [lower control arm bushings] or a combination of those.My cuda makes noises once and awhile.
The following users liked this post:
1966charger (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Try spraying the rubber suspension components one at a time with some WD-40 road test and see if there is a change, doing one component at a time will help you to narrow it down and eliminate them as you go.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a dry bushing, could be anything, though. The rear seat mounts in my 69 Charger creak a bit, as does the lift off hood. Start lookin' and good luck.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM

thanks guys, i really appreciate it. ill be testing out some of your guys' ideas out in the next comming week. ill keep you posted if any of you are wondering what it might be!